Headphones issue with "jack" audio in 18.3 Cinnamon

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Headphones issue with "jack" audio in 18.3 Cinnamon

Post by wutsinterweb »

If I need to provide links I'll search for them again and post, here is my minor issue:

I recently got interested in using my guitar on my desktop and learned about Racarrack from people here. I found out that in order to use it and have music playing also, where I could hear both, I needed to have jack audio and qjackctl. It took some time to figure out, but on my previous install a week ago I had it all working in 18.2 with KDE. I used Aptik and installed a fresh 18.3 with Cinnamon instead, and I have it all working again EXCEPT, NOW the headphones, once plugged in, not only don't work, but no sound comes out even from the speakers, whereas win 18.2 with KDE, the speakers went quiet and the headphones automatically worked once plugged in. In the sound properties there are no controls for connections. I set up a configuration of a file so that jack worked automatically in order to do this.

It isn't that big a deal, but as with any issue, I get where I want to solve it. My headphones have much better sound than my speakers, too.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Headphones issue with "jack" audio in 18.3 Cinnamon

Post by wutsinterweb »

Is there anyone using Jack Audio with Cinnamon that can help me figure this out? I don't see a forum for Jack, I just signed up for the mail list but I don't know what they do on the list, if any, support.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
ArtGirl

Re: Headphones issue with "jack" audio in 18.3 Cinnamon

Post by ArtGirl »

Hi. I used to play a bit of guitar years back a similar way, so I know what you mean. Unfortunately, I'm not in the know about how to do this on Linux, except to install gnome-alsamixer and pavucontrol, via Synaptic Package Manager. I just discovered the other day that a recording microphone works, after twiddling with Mint's own sound settings, including increasing the volume in those settings, but these two installs enable settings to be tweaked further. Hope these solve the issue.

Return to “Hardware Support”