Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Cymri
Level 1
Level 1

Disks Utility documentation?

Post by Cymri » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:19 am

Not sure if I'm about to have problems or not. I ran the Disks program self test feature on my old tower and it says self-test failed. Yet the final column says all assessments are OK. The "Type" column shows either 'pre-fail' or 'old age" and the "Updates" column shows nothing but 'online'. I don't know how to interpret the information. Is there documentation that explains what all this info means? Hovering the cursor on the lines give some basic info, but not what the columns mean.

catweazel
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Disks Utility documentation?

Post by catweazel » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:28 am

"Pre-Fail" and "Old-Age" refer to the type of SMART attribute; they do not imply pre-failure or old age in and of themselves, i.e. they are just labels. As long as the Assessment column has OK for every SMART attribute and as long as the Overall Assessment field says "Disk is OK" then everything is ok.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

Return to “Hardware Support”