system crashes... wpa_supplicant

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
capponz

system crashes... wpa_supplicant

Post by capponz »

Hi, my system mint 18.1 Mate on an Acer notebook crashes quite often.
The last entry in var/log/syslog showed the last two times:

Code: Select all

Nov 29 09:35:01 deep-thought CRON[2363]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Nov 29 09:37:34 deep-thought wpa_supplicant[1041]: wlp2s0: WPA: Group rekeying completed with c8:0e:14:cb:fe:ce [GTK=TKIP]

Dec  3 12:25:01 deep-thought CRON[32019]: (root) CMD (command -v debian-sa1 > /dev/null && debian-sa1 1 1)
Dec  3 12:26:42 deep-thought wpa_supplicant[1062]: wlp2s0: WPA: Group rekeying completed with c8:0e:14:e8:de:51 [GTK=TKIP]
I found a crash Mint entry in some forum and they mentioned to deactivate bluetooth. Which seemed to help. but at the end it did not.

My graphic card is:

capponz@deep-thought ~ $ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@59.99hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7
I have no further ideas.
please help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClixTrix

Re: system crashes... wpa_supplicant

Post by ClixTrix »

Please run the following command from Terminal and post back the result:

inxi -Fxz
wpa_supplicant is more likely connected to your wifi adapter.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

From what I've gleaned about wireless encryption, TKIP should NOT be used with Linux because of the problems it causes. I would suggest, if you have access to the router, changing your cypher to CCMP only.
capponz

Post by capponz »

Thanks for the reply.
but this does not fix my problem...
your suggestion is more a security recommendation, right?

thanks
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

My understanding is that TKIP causes connection problems.
capponz

Post by capponz »

Yes but connection problems should not cause freezing the system, right?
That's what my initial post is about.
My system freezes completely. even REISUB does not work when this occures.
cheers
capponz

Post by capponz »

Thanks for your reply ClixTrix
heres the inxi -Fxz

inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: deep-thought Kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
           Desktop: MATE 1.14.1 (Gtk 2.24.30) Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   Mobo: Acer model: E1-510 v: V2.11 Bios: Acer v: V2.11 date: 04/07/2014
CPU:       Quad core Intel Pentium N3520 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 17305
           clock speeds: max: 2415 MHz 1: 1447 MHz 2: 1088 MHz 3: 1359 MHz 4: 935 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@59.99hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-21-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 1000 bus-ID: 01:00.2
           IF: enp1s0f2 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (21.3% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 250.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 37G used: 8.3G (24%) fs: ext3 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: /home size: 147G used: 41G (29%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 0.50GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 233 Uptime: 13:06 Memory: 3793.3/7870.4MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I see your running Mint 18.0 Sarah (not 18.1 Serena). The Kernel 4.4.0-21 is pretty old and has a lot of patches up to the current 4.4.0-101 Kernel (current fix level for that old Kernel).

You might want to try updating the Kernel level as a start from Update Manager as a test. If you want to stay with 4.4, that's OK. Just getting to the current fixed level should give some elimination of bugs from the past 18-24 months of updates as the cause of the freezes.
capponz

Post by capponz »

Thanks a lot I'll give that one a try.

thanks heaps. I keep you posted
capponz

Post by capponz »

Thank you so much ClixTrix. your suggestion did the trick. awesome.
I though having some hardware trouble.
THANK YOU!

Nah, I have to say it happens again and again :(
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Well, the Bay Trail support might be the sticking point and what Kernel gives best support. There are plenty of articles and blogs discussing Bay Trail problems with Linux. This article is a year old.

http://opensourceforu.com/2016/10/ubunt ... rocessors/

I'd hoped that updating to a more recent 4.4 patched Kernel would help.

I know you're using the old Mint 18.1 release. Was there a specific reason you didn't update to Mint 18.2 or 18.3 with newer Kernels (and updated firmware)?

FYI.....the wpa_supplicant message on rekeying are normal and periodic. That's not eliminating Wifi as a source of problem, just not a definite "That's the problem" cause.

When the problem occurs, are you simply getting freezes/lockups, or are there other symptoms?
capponz

Post by capponz »

Hi ClixTrix,
thank you for your quick reply.
well, the only reason I used the "older" version was that I had a DVD of it and knew it's long term supported. :?
The system freezes without any previous symptoms. the system freezes and not even REISUB has any effect.
No matter what I'm doing...Gimp/Inkscape/web browsing...
I need to read into the "bay trail" options.
I'm happy to change the OS/version if the notebook stops freezing.
Are there Mint versions supporting bay trail? What would you suggest?
I'm lost right now.

Thank you very much
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Linux Mint is based upon Ubuntu and generally follows the releases of their LTS versions every two years, e.g. Mint 18 tracks with the release of Ubuntu 16.04 and each supplemental update at about 6 month intervals. The recent release of Mint 18.3 follows the the Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS released last July with Kernel 4.10 and is the last release of Mint 18. Ubuntu will release 18.04 next April and Mint will release 19.0 around June 2018.

From my checks the Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak (from that article on Bay Trail) came with Kernel 4.8. That's also the Kernel that came with Mint 16.2 released last June and was probably also used in one of the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS cycle updates.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/YakketyYak/ReleaseNotes

However, the Kernel 4.8 was a short-term support kernel and no longer is getting updates. You could try that Kernel for a test from Update Manager.

The more current Kernel released with Mint 18.3 is 4.10 and came bundled with that release.

You can also use Update Manager and update your install to the current release of Mint 18.3 and the 4.10 Kernel.

Return to “Hardware Support”