Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
shesanp
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot copy files from ext4 hard drive

Post by shesanp » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:19 pm

Okay, I don't know if the title is accurate, but here is my problem:

I recently upgraded my hard drive to an SSD, and ended up using my old 500 GB hard drive through a USB HDD enclosure. I did not change anything in the hard drive when I took it out, so it had the system files for Linux mint still in there, along with my other files. Now, when I try to access the hard drive through the USB enclosure, it does not let me copy the files to and from the drive, because it says it is a Read only file system. The drive is formatted in ext4. I can still open the files in that hard drive, but copying into it and out of it is the problem.
Also, interestingly I cannot even see the drive when I try to plug it in on my Windows 10. It says the drive is there, but I cannot view it through the file explorer.

Currently, I am trying to resolve this issue with a Lubuntu live usb, by digging into the terminal and using chmod and chown commands to change ownership, but it is not working. What can I do to remedy this problem?

PS- i have attached a screenshot of the Gparted page for the drive.
Attachments
2017-12-03-201731_1366x768_scrot.png

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Cannot copy files from ext4 hard drive

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:54 pm

From where you were when you took the gparted screenshot, right-click on /dev/sdc2 and choose 'Unmount'. Then right-click it again and choose 'Check'. This error... Read only file system ...suggests Linux is enforcing read-only because the file system is damaged.
Data stored in the volume will only be accessible with the correct password. If you lose this security key, all data will be lost.

shesanp
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot copy files from ext4 hard drive

Post by shesanp » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:36 pm

Awesome, that worked for the drive! Although there a still a few folders that have the lock sign and read only permissions. When I bring up their properties and try to change from the permissions tab, the options are greyed out. How would I change the permission for those individual folders?

Thank You for the answer!

Return to “Hardware Support”