Cannot copy files from ext4 hard drive

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shesanp

Cannot copy files from ext4 hard drive

Post by shesanp »

Okay, I don't know if the title is accurate, but here is my problem:

I recently upgraded my hard drive to an SSD, and ended up using my old 500 GB hard drive through a USB HDD enclosure. I did not change anything in the hard drive when I took it out, so it had the system files for Linux mint still in there, along with my other files. Now, when I try to access the hard drive through the USB enclosure, it does not let me copy the files to and from the drive, because it says it is a Read only file system. The drive is formatted in ext4. I can still open the files in that hard drive, but copying into it and out of it is the problem.
Also, interestingly I cannot even see the drive when I try to plug it in on my Windows 10. It says the drive is there, but I cannot view it through the file explorer.

Currently, I am trying to resolve this issue with a Lubuntu live usb, by digging into the terminal and using chmod and chown commands to change ownership, but it is not working. What can I do to remedy this problem?

PS- i have attached a screenshot of the Gparted page for the drive.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Cannot copy files from ext4 hard drive

Post by Mute Ant »

From where you were when you took the gparted screenshot, right-click on /dev/sdc2 and choose 'Unmount'. Then right-click it again and choose 'Check'. This error... Read only file system ...suggests Linux is enforcing read-only because the file system is damaged.
shesanp

Re: Cannot copy files from ext4 hard drive

Post by shesanp »

Awesome, that worked for the drive! Although there a still a few folders that have the lock sign and read only permissions. When I bring up their properties and try to change from the permissions tab, the options are greyed out. How would I change the permission for those individual folders?

Thank You for the answer!

Return to “Hardware Support”