New Laptop

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mindovermaster
Level 1
Level 1

New Laptop

Post by mindovermaster »

I am currently looking at the System76 Oryx Pro. It starts at $1600. Has a 1060 or 1070 option. I'll probably just stick with the 1060.

Looking around, I see some other laptops that are "similar" to it. But are they Linux Mint/Debian/Arch compatible? I see DELL and Lenovo are mostly compatible. Can I get something better, a laptop or all-in-one or desktop replacement at this same price point?

Running Mint 18.2 right now. Might change, who knows. It's Linux, lots of choices.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dark

Re: New Laptop

Post by dark »

Any Linux distro should work on System76 laptops.
mindovermaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mindovermaster »

I'm talking about other laptops, not System76. I'm already aware of that.
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

Usually Dells and Lenovos or older Thinkpads.
mindovermaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mindovermaster »

Anyone know about the Alienware 13?
MattTwinkleToes
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MattTwinkleToes »

man it´s always a bit of a gamble, it is best to go with a model that others have already tested but of course this is not always possible.

I have had very good luck with HP laptops in general however my most recent purchase has a weird speaker configuration that seems unfixable at this point unless some bright person comes along and knows how to get mint to recognise all 4 speakers.

Generally, If you google the model name of the laptop that you are looking for and see all the usual ¨how to¨ type results, it is probably going to work ok but if there are no result in google then be wary as it might just be that nobody else has tried it yet.

If a prospective laptop has standard intel parts with realtek drivers for audio and network, it is probably going to work. It is a bit naughty if you get caught but you can take a usb stick with mint on it to a shop and just boot it up and check it yourself before buying, sometimes explaining it to the staff helps but most of the time they have no idea what you are talking about and get scared so i find it best to just go in at busy times when they are too tied up to notice.

Return to “Hardware Support”