No Sound

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
InfoCentral

No Sound

Post by InfoCentral »

After upgrading Mint, monitors, and graphic card, I have no sound. I checked sound setting and I noticed while I have HDMI input selection (none work) I don't have my MB audio available as an option which my Bose speakers are connected too. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: No Sound

Post by trytip »

go to .config/pulse/ and delete everything in there except presets folder then reboot
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I looked into my Sound & Video folder and I don't have Pulse Audio installed. I went into Software Manager and it doesn't show up as being available for download. I do remember having it on my previous version but I know a lot have changed with the latest Mint version. Perhaps there is now a compatibility issue?
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Please run the following command from Terminal and post back the results:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

open file manager and go to your HOME directory and press CTRL+H to show hidden files then navigate to .config/pulse
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

ClixTrix wrote:Please run the following command from Terminal and post back the results:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
System: Host: infocentral-132-YW-E178-FTW Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine: Mobo: EVGA model: 132-YW-E178-FTW v: 1
Bios: Phoenix v: 6.00 PG date: 06/30/2008
CPU: Quad core Intel Core2 Quad Q9450 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 21334
clock speeds: max: 2666 MHz 1: 2666 MHz 2: 2666 MHz 3: 2666 MHz
4: 2666 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA Device 1c82 bus-ID: 03:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 1280x720@60.00hz, 2560x1440@59.95hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 375.66 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 NVIDIA Device 0fb9 driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 03:00.1
Card-2 NVIDIA MCP55 High Definition Audio
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:0f.1
Card-3 Logitech HD Webcam C910 driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 001-003
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-53-generic
Network: Card-1: NVIDIA MCP55 Ethernet
driver: forcedeth port: ac00 bus-ID: 00:11.0
IF: enp0s17 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: NVIDIA MCP55 Ethernet
driver: forcedeth port: a800 bus-ID: 00:12.0
IF: enp0s18 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (3.2% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD10EZEX size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 909G used: 23G (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.59GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:39C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 222 Uptime: 9:15 Memory: 1499.2/7982.5MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

trytip wrote:go to .config/pulse/ and delete everything in there except presets folder then reboot
OK, I was able to navigate to the pulse folder but I didn't see any presets folder.

https://imgur.com/a/k4Lnv
Last edited by InfoCentral on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

OK, now this is getting really confusing. Yesterday I got the sound coming from my HDMI connected secondary monitor. Today I get the sound coming from my Display port primary monitor. Have no idea what is going on. At any rate what I want is to use my Bose speakers connected to my MB like with the previous version of Mint. At least there is sound coming through.

https://imgur.com/a/uAEjA
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

it's fine some people use equalizer and the presets folder are the personal settings. delete everything in .config/pulse/ if you haven't and reboot. with hdmi many time all you need to do is wait for a complete boot up to settle then unplug the hdmi for a few seconds and give it time to refresh as you plug it back in
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I see the MCP55 Audio in inxi list. However, it's not showing to Pulse Audio. You have added a high-end video card with integrated HD Audio. Some BIOS prevent onboard features when add-on cards displace/block the function. Usually, that integrated hardware feature has AUTO as an option in BIOS. From your pic, it looks like Pulse Audio sees no onboard audio, only the video cards HD Audio. I've seen this happen (automatically) with some older chipsets/boards when adding a real audio card. Here's a suggestion ...

Go to BIOS Setup and locate the onboard HD Audio. It's probably in a section about Integrated Peripherals. If it is set to AUTO (if that BIOS has ENABLE/DISABLE/AUTO), try ENABLE and SAVE-EXIT.

If that doesn't work, I'd try removing the new video card for a test (back to onboard video), just to see if it's involved with the problem.

Edit: I also see you're using a fairly old Kernel 4.4, but not updated to a current level. I bellieve 4.4.0-103 is current. You might want to update to eliminate older Kernel bugs as a problem. Also, looks like you updated to MT 18.3. Did you test Kernel 4.10?
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I updated the kernal to the latest version. I went into the bios but the only options were AUTO and DISABLE. I tried disabling it reboot then auto and reboot. No luck. Your probably right it my old motherboard with new graphic card that is causing the problem. I want to build a new system but I just don't want to pay the price they are asking for RAM.

Return to “Hardware Support”