Red screen - astronomy

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lxmgringo

Red screen - astronomy

Post by lxmgringo »

Hi all
I want a red screen - not redshift or f.lux or xcalib - for when i do astronomy and use the laptop. For windows there are numerous progs, which change your screen to red (i do not want a reddish tint) - therefore any application you open has this red / black screen. That's it. No fuss. Until you close the app, then we're back to normal.

All astronomy pages & sites i've been to, point to windows apps - i do not want to run this stuff through Wine - i like clean environments - Windows is dirty! But if there is no other option, I'll go dig around there...

I searched google long enough now and it keeps showing me redshift (already installed) and on page 2 and 3 it starts telling me about bitcoin viruses and crap!

Stellarium has a similar feature, but it only works in Stelllarium (if you minimise or alt+tab to another app - white as bright!!). I want something similar for all aps.

Redshift's reddish tint thingy is just not good enough for me.

I have an MSI laptop with Nvidia grafix card, latest Mint Nvidia drivers (384.90)... using Mint 18.2 Cinnamon.
Am comfy with terminal commands.

Any ideas??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Red screen - astronomy

Post by JerryF »

Not sure if it'll be enough but Redshift does have options that can be customized from a Terminal command.

redshift -g R:G:B is an option to change the red, green, and/or blue amounts.

In your case, you'd probably want

Code: Select all

redshift -g 10:0.1:0.1
Type

Code: Select all

man redshift
to see all its options.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... ost9906874

Compiz color filter solution works with Mate or xfce and the reviews discuss Mint 17.3. Not sure if there any issues with Mint 18. You can install compiz from Software Manager.

Edit: Back in the mid-80's, my very first laptop was a Toshiba with a Red Plasma screen. It worked great at night, but weighed a TON. :shock:
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "lxmgringo",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

What astronomy applications besides Stellarium are you using? You claim the Astronomy websites refer to "numerous progs" for MS Windows that can do this, please give us some examples?

There are a few ways to adjust your monitor screen's color, and or "screen temperature", monitor calibration, including Redshift and similar applications (applets, desklets, widgets, apps, etc...). What is wrong with using one of these and adjusting RGB (red, Green, Blue) to what you want? Check your "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for monitor calibration, redshift, etc...

In my Linux Mint KDE 18.2 system, I can just go to System Settings -> Display and Monitor -> Gamma, and change the colors this way and save them or not...

Previous posts with good information
Night Light (redshift type apps)
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=255747&hilit=redshift

Problems with Brightness - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=255650&hilit=redshift

Hope this helps ...

Monitor_Calibration1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
lxmgringo

Post by lxmgringo »

Good morn' all ya funky LX peeps...

Will go check out some of your suggestions and then come back...

Will respond then...

Thank you for your inputs thus far.

Gringo

Return to “Hardware Support”