Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
nofrills
Level 1
Level 1

MacBook Pro getting seriously hot

Post by nofrills » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:28 am

Hi,

I am relatively new to Linux, having been using LM 18 for about 6 months now, on a Macbook Pro late 2010. I really love how well itś been running except for one problem. The laptop always runs really hot (you can´t sit it on your lap!), this was never a problem with OSX. The battery also doesn´t last as long. Recently, I picked up the charger that was connected to the laptop, it almost burned my hand. I think there may be an issue with power or battery management here that I hope can be solved. I haven´t had much luck searching the forums, so if someone could provide some help that would be great! Hardware details:

Code: Select all

falcke@Falcke-MacBookPro ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Falcke-MacBookPro Kernel: 4.4.0-91-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: Apple (portable) product: MacBookPro8 1 v: 1.0
           Mobo: Apple model: Mac-94245B3640C91C81 v: MacBookPro8 1
           Bios: Apple v: MBP81.88Z.0047.B2D.1610201938 date: 10/20/16
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2415M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9179
           clock speeds: max: 2900 MHz 1: 799 MHz 2: 799 MHz 3: 800 MHz
           4: 799 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x800@60.22hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-91-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM57765 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
           driver: tg3 v: 3.137 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0f0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11a/b/g/n driver: wl bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (13.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54503 size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 290G used: 38G (14%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.20GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 65.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 203 Uptime: 12:58 Memory: 1611.0/3861.6MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
falcke@Falcke-MacBookPro ~ $ 

wallyUSA
Level 4
Level 4

Re: MacBook Pro getting seriously hot

Post by wallyUSA » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:13 am

nofrills wrote:Hi,

I am relatively new to Linux, having been using LM 18 for about 6 months now, on a Macbook Pro late 2010. I really love how well itś been running except for one problem. The laptop always runs really hot (you can´t sit it on your lap!), this was never a problem with OSX.
@nofills - I had the same problem with a MB Air, 2010 vintage, even using OSX. After it had been running for awhile, it would get very hot and made a sound like a fan was running (normally I never heard a sound). I ran the MAC diagnostics but it found no issue.

I replaced the OSX with LM and had the same issue. Not sure how to proceed. It's in the closet for now and I use a DELL for now.

I'll be following this post in case you or anyone else has opinions or suggestions.

Good luck!

Wally
Tara Cinnamon 3.8.9 Kernel 4.15.0-36 (64 bit)
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line.

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:10 am

I wish I had an answer for you. My HP 8460p has the same problem. So hot that I can't put it on my lap.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:39 am

You guys may be a victim of hardware issues. I work on laptops for people and a lot of time the heat-sink compound on the Microprocessor and Chipset dries out and then you have a heat problem. Many users also don't blow out their air path with a can of 'AIR' and the fan and heat-sink area gets plugged up with dirt. Then I've seen laptops that just run HOT. I've got a Toshiba mini that I travel with and it smells like it is burning up but it's been this way for years :? Just a guess :)

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:44 am

And then there's the issue with fans... even if your CPU fan is working, it may be getting up there in years. I have just replaced the fan on my 2012 Thinkpad because it was getting noisy... now with the new fan, it's not only quieter but also 10 - 20 C cooler. So a worn bearing may keep the fan from doing an optimal job.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

ClixTrix
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ClixTrix » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 am

Battery?

Since that's an old laptop, what is the condition of the battery and is that the source of the heat? Old Li-ion batteries do tend to lose efficiency and do overheat.
Linux Mint 18.3 x64 Cinnamon Kernel 4.15.0-36-generic
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H (F20) / Ryzen 5 1600 / Micron Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 2x8GB / XFX HD5450-1GB
NVMe-SSD Samsung 960 EVO 250GB / SATA-HDD WD1600BEKT 160GB / SATA-SSD Toshiba OCZ VX500 512GB

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Pepi wrote:You guys may be a victim of hardware issues. I work on laptops for people and a lot of time the heat-sink compound on the Microprocessor and Chipset dries out and then you have a heat problem. Many users also don't blow out their air path with a can of 'AIR' and the fan and heat-sink area gets plugged up with dirt. Then I've seen laptops that just run HOT. I've got a Toshiba mini that I travel with and it smells like it is burning up but it's been this way for years :? Just a guess :)
When my laptop came with Windows, heat wasn't a problem. I dual-booted for a while and when I ran Mint, it ran hot, Windows didn't run hot.

I only have Mint as my sole operating system (with a Windows VM) so I live with the extra heat. I have blown out the vent area, but will check the heat-sink compound.

Thanks.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

nofrills
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nofrills » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:35 pm

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I think I'll try replacing the battery, as it's the original. While I'm at it, I'll replace the fan and heat sink compound, and blow out the dust.

Cheers!

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:52 pm

nofrills wrote:Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I think I'll try replacing the battery, as it's the original. While I'm at it, I'll replace the fan and heat sink compound, and blow out the dust.

Cheers!
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:18 pm

I am relatively new to Linux, having been using LM 18 for about 6 months now, on a Macbook Pro late 2010. I really love how well itś been running except for one problem. The laptop always runs really hot (you can´t sit it on your lap!), this was never a problem with OSX. The battery also doesn´t last as long. Recently, I picked up the charger that was connected to the laptop, it almost burned my hand. I think there may be an issue with power or battery management here that I hope can be solved. I haven´t had much luck searching the forums, so if someone could provide some help that would be great!
Poor battery life is no surprise. It's pretty miserable in Linux no matter what anyone says.
Your Macbook runs hot with Linux because of that nvidia graphic card that Apple used. I bet it would run hot in Windows too. You don't experience the heat the problem with OSX because Apple has optimized the OS to work with that specific hardware. I am afraid there is nothing that you can do about the heat.

wallyUSA
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wallyUSA » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:18 am

z31fanatic wrote:

I am relatively new to Linux, having been using LM 18 for about 6 months now, on a Macbook Pro late 2010.
Poor battery life is no surprise. It's pretty miserable in Linux no matter what anyone says.
Your Macbook runs hot with Linux because of that nvidia graphic card that Apple used. I bet it would run hot in Windows too. You don't experience the heat the problem with OSX because Apple has optimized the OS to work with that specific hardware. I am afraid there is nothing that you can do about the heat.
@z31fanatic -

Not sure I agree with your post. As I stated earlier, I had the problem with the native MB and OSX even before I tried LM:

I had the same problem with a MB Air, 2010 vintage, even using OSX. After it had been running for awhile, it would get very hot and made a sound like a fan was running (normally I never heard a sound). I ran the MAC diagnostics but it found no issue.

wally
Tara Cinnamon 3.8.9 Kernel 4.15.0-36 (64 bit)
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:53 am

"CPU: clock speeds: max: 2900 MHz 1: 799 MHz 2: 799 MHz 3: 800 MHz 4: 799 MHz /.../ System Temperatures: cpu: 65.0C"

So full speed would stabilise at around (2900 / 800) * (65 - 20) + 20 = 183 celcius... but it would shut itself down long before that.

I suspect it's straight-forward bad cooling, by accident...

o Processor not touching the heatsink.

o Air paths stuffed full of fluff and crumbs.

o Fan not running.

...or by design...

o Inadequate cooling system for a 35 watt TDP https://ark.intel.com/products/53449/In ... o-2_90-GHz

o Thermal control relegated to software which Mint doesn't have.

The 'by accident' causes. A delicate touch to clean up inside the machine. It's not high-tech but it's quite easy to break miniaturised computers.

The 'by design' causes. A quiet, slow ball-bearing fan that runs continuously would be my choice, blowing air onto the hardware, not 'sucking the heat off'.
2018-10-13 Google designs 3-phase feed-forward to improve 2-phased governors with no sense of direction.

loubapache
Level 1
Level 1

Post by loubapache » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:07 pm

I just installed LM18.3 on a mid 2010 MBP and have not had this issue. Do check the video drivers.

I had to select a different wifi and video driver.

Dual booting with OS X high sierra.

Graphics: Card: NVIDIA MCP89 [GeForce 320M] bus-ID: 04:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 1280x800@60.22hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce 320M/integrated/SSE2
GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.102 Direct Rendering: Yes

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Post by prestonR » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:01 am

My MBP 2009 with Nvidia GT9400 has some issues, some due to its case design, some due to the choice of components. The Nvidia GT9400 runs hot quickly and needs tuning at the Nvidia Server Settings; shaders, antialising, vsync and other effects down/off, move slider from 'quality' to 'performance'. Changing these will have more impact on a graphically demanding desktop environment like Cinnamon/KDE than on a 'lighter' DE.

If you're able to open your laptop you can reduce build-up of heat and subsequent cpu throttling, aka 'using 25% of the power that you paid for', by:
- increasing air volume by removing components or replacing them with smaller ones
- lowering internal power consumption by replacing components with less power-hungry ones or, better, moving them outside

Specifically on a (about 50W) MBP you should consider at least some of these measures:

- remove the flash-plugin; watching a flash stream drives my temp over 80C.
- disable bluetooth
- convert the 10Watt hdd to 4Watt ssd, or, even better, an msata ssd which will use the same 4Watt but, because of its tiny volume, airflow in the drive bay will increase and so will heat dissipation
- using ethernet instead of wifi saves 2-3Watt if you switch wifi adapter off or completely remove the card (use USBwifi when 'on the road')
- never add a second drive with the replacement adapter for the DVDdrive. Some adapters have a break-out esata port; put the adapter in empty and plug your ssd in externally
- if your superdrive is bust, remove it; the added space will increase airflow

Even without the adapter; the freed fast PCIe ports of wifi card and superdrive can be utilised while keeping the machine cool; use a break-out cable to move the port to the outside of the chassis (dremel DVD slot for socket, or 'let it dangle') for external use with, e.g, USB3 cards, your removed wifi card, 2nd disk, 3G card , whatever works.

Return to “Hardware Support”