[Solved}Restoring Sylvia to a different computer

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exfed2002

[Solved}Restoring Sylvia to a different computer

Post by exfed2002 »

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I'll give it a try.

I have a WIN 10/Sylvia installation on my upstairs (main) machine. I use Macrium Reflect to do backups of my WIN installation and my Linux installation. Each installation is on its own drive, and each gets its own backup image.

Downstairs I have a backup machine which duplicates my upstairs machine, or at least I want it to.........

I have a WIN 10 installation on one drive, and I was able to restore the Sylvia installation from the Macrium image to a second drive. (I am trying to avoid doing a new install of Sylvia here as the install DVD's and I don't get along well, they usually freeze at the ISOLINUX banner............)

It boots fine, the GRUB menu is 100% functional, everything seems pretty much OK, but here the fun starts. I have no network connectivity at all (no lights on the NIC) just a message that it is trying to connect, likely due to the fact that it is a different NIC on a different MB. I also cannot mount any of the drives on the WIN 10 disk, they show up in drives, but they are unmountable because they allegedly haven't been closed out properly in a WIN shutdown.

I know I could solve all of this by doing a fresh install and update, etc., but I am trying to avoid this.

Is there any way I can get the NIC working, and do something to get the drive mappings removed so I can remap them and have them mount at boot, or am I stuck with doing a new install?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solved:
Some Windows settings had gotten reactivated. Fast shutdown and boot did not allow the drives to shutdown properly and prevented mounting in Linux Mint. The Realtek NIC settings allowed Windows to shut it down, but did not allow it to reactivate in a Linux boot.

Once all those things were taken care of, everything was fine. And that includes the restore form a totally different machine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Hardware Support”