Help me find a better motherboard

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
therealBatman

Help me find a better motherboard

Post by therealBatman »

Back 3 years ago, I went all in CPU wise, when my previous motherboard crapped out on me and it was only a temporary motherboard/cpu situation anyway. I wasn't in a good financial situation which thank god I rectified, funnily enough, helped a lot by quitting cigarettes, soon to be 4 years! (cigs aren't priced like in US States that depend on agriculture and tobacco culture especially as one of their main way to make money, places like South Carolina, Georgia..a friend of mine is in Georgia only for work and he you can get 2 packs of the high quality cigs there (high quality as in, a Big Mac is a high quality hamburger as opposed to the McDonald's plain Hamburger) for a little less than 9 dollars.

So I might have cheapened out on the motherboard, a lot of strange things have happened during the last year, refusal to boot after some time,changing of bios options without me doing it...I wish computers still had locks that needed external keys to unlock any possible I/O like back with my old 486SX 16mhz (33mhz with turbo!).

Here's the whole situation (unless there's a PSU showing option for inxi, I have like 4 things to do at once so I won't be looking that up, i welcome your correction. But, enumerating all the issues I'm having, since 1 years, the first 2 years were smooth sailing....

Code: Select all

inxi
CPU~Octa core AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core (-MCP-) speed/max~1400/4000 MHz Kernel~4.4.0-59-generic x86_64 Up~1 day Mem~7643.5/15947.9MB HDD~4701.0GB(45.9% used) Procs~362 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.28  
fypz@fypz-desktop ~ $ inxi -M
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 2701 date: 03/24/2016
Firmware of the BIOS hasn't changed. It is hybrid as in it can do this UEFI thing i do not want to learn about, as I was at some party one night and by the end it was just me, my girlfriend, and the woman who invited us, and she really wanted to get in her computer, but her husband appears to be the everything-here-is-here-because-of-me although she makes just slightly less than him. Enough of social commentary, we wanted to listen to music that wasn't on CD's or vinyl, all we had was a computer with UEFI, a windows 8.1 login screen where she didn't even know the password, Shortly, after a few hours, I just rebooted the computer, which was connected to about 8 externals, that supposedly would re-establish instantly how the computer was if there was a problem, so being very frustrated, I just F8'd my way in the system and basically deleted everything and the magic UEFI reinstalled a fresh win 8.1. If that's UEFI, I'll always ignore the UEFI options to boot from USB drives or keys as UEFI when I press F8 at boot, when the normal BIOS way is there.

All that said, does someone have a motherboard that isn't much bigger but maybe better laid out than the M5A97 LE R2.0? Unless someone wants me to list all issues I've had, especially when in Linux, but also when I boot in windows 7, I've seen blue screens just from moving a lot of data from drive to drive, didn't matter if it was external to internal, the opposite, external to external, internal to internal...I've seen everything and I'm sufficiently pissed off that I will get myself a christmas present. I'd like it very much if I didn't have to change desktop box, the whole thing works perfectly, I guess it is a regular ATX motherboard in size, but installing a high quality (then anyway) graphics card, which are rather humongous when compared to the one that was connected to the previous mobo, right now it's sporting a Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 8890 (codename Malta), so big that it hides the PCI 1x Express port, where someone who's other job is based on music, I need a high quality pci 1x express sound card, I made due with an older PCI card that was pretty good from Creative but it's dying, at least according to Linux Mint, it won't show up every boot, maybe 1 out of 5-6 boots. Windows 7 ultimate does see it at all times though. So I don't know what to think. At least I have a rather very viable processor, so I can build around it.

Definitely sorry for the long-winded post, but I rather give you all information I find relevant as of now (even the UEFI part, if all motherboard now are UEFI only...I'm very discouraged and will go for used, better, mobos than the one I have.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClixTrix

Re: Help me find a better motherboard

Post by ClixTrix »

That's a pretty high-end gaming rig configuration.

Which PSU brand and model are you using? If I had that Processor, MB, and Video card, I'd being using a Haswell Ready 1000+ Watt for stable power....no kidding.

The AMD FX-8350 CPU is one of the hottest and operates at load at 220 Watt+ TDP. It comes stock with an oversize heatsink. However, it's really recommended to install with a liquid cooling system.

If you mean the Sapphire Radeon HD 7990 Malta (not 8890), It's minimal PSU recommendation is 750 Watt.

Does your case have good exhaust fans?

I seriously doubt there are any legacy motherboards (non-UEFI) to support those components.

Please post back with a full set of info by running the following command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Jim Hauser

Re: Help me find a better motherboard

Post by Jim Hauser »

I am running my FX-8350 on an Asus M5A 78L-M USB3 with liquid cooling on the CPU and 16 gigabytes RAM in a Corsair 100R case. I am also running an GeForce GT 740 SC graphics card with two monitors.

Everything runs 24/7 on my system with the CPU running 100% most of the time running fractal renders or BOINC.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-M5A78L- ... 10&veh=aff

Might give you a good look at it.

(Mine is not for gaming...)

Return to “Hardware Support”