Tablet accelerometer sensor on Lenovo Helix

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NOOB

Tablet accelerometer sensor on Lenovo Helix

Post by NOOB »

I recently installed Mint Cinnamon 18.3 on a slightly old Lenovo Helix and iio-sensor-proxy 1.1 came with Mint but doesn't seem to work with the accelerometer. iio-sensor-proxy 2.4 is evidently out, now, but I couldn't figure out how to install it (why d'ya think I'm a NOOB? but I vaguely recall DOS and even CP/M commands, so I'm not totally useless). Running monitor-sensor in a terminal had no results at all. One of the other commands on the iio-sensor-proxy Github page led to monitor-sensor showing lighting changes; and yet another indicated that no accelerometer existed or functioned. Being wholly new to Linux, I couldn't find how Mint would show any sensors at all via the graphics menus, much less how to turn them on.

FYI, the Helix in not like a Yoga--the screen detaches from the keyboard & behaves like a tablet. In tablet mode under Win10, I could right-click with a stylus, but not in Mint. Nor would the image shift when the screen rotated, and screen-touch was limited (e.g., Calibre would not advance pages with clicks on the right-side of them, only with the page-turn arrows).

Advice is very much welcome, but should be explicit for this NOOB, who is a user not a programmer. Thanks in advance. I'll check back in a while.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WiltshireJon
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Tablet accelerometer sensor on Lenovo Helix

Post by WiltshireJon »

I had the same problem on an asus zenbook 2 in 1...not seeing the accelerometers. After doing a fresh install of 18.3 I tried updating iio-sensor-proxy from github files but the computer say no. I eventually found a .deb file from here https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/c ... nsor-proxy and now the system works as it should, although it needs to go through a suspend-resume cycle before it will switch to portrait mode (and back). Systemctl restart (or start) iio-sensor-proxy didn't work, only suspend and resume. Other than that it seems stable and my bank account hasn't suddenly emptied (yet).

Note this was on a fresh install and before I had put all my stuff back so if I broke the system it wouldn't have been a complete disaster. More experienced users may be able to say if doing this is a good or bad idea.

EDIT press-hold touch screen = right click has always worked so the above won't help with that problem...
NOOB

Re: Tablet accelerometer sensor on Lenovo Helix

Post by NOOB »

Thank you very much for that advice. After a warning the deb version installed (and nagged that it was the same as already installed), but then in a terminal window monitor-sensor told me something:

Waiting for iio-sensor-proxy to appear
+++ iio-sensor-proxy appeared
=== No accelerometer
=== Has ambient light sensor (value: 0.000000, unit: lux)

That's progress, since I got nothing at all before. Suspending and resuming changed nothing on that response.

Ditto, gdbus introspect --system --dest net.hadess.SensorProxy --object-path /net/hadess/SensorProxy repeats under properties:

readonly b HasAccelerometer = false;
readonly s AccelerometerOrientation = 'undefined';

Predictably, separating the tablet from the keyboard and rotating it had no effect (but for taking away the cursor). Alas. But still my thanks, and my best wishes to all for a good weekend.

Return to “Hardware Support”