My experience with the BIOSTAR X370GTN. Stuff to know if you buy it.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

My experience with the BIOSTAR X370GTN. Stuff to know if you buy it.

Post by flatiron »

Okay, some people have claimed this works for linux. This will be a thread about my experience with it, so that other people can easily get info about it.

1) You can update the BIOS on it. Go here http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en%2Dus/ ... 9#download

Select any OS. I am pretty sure it doesn't matter what you select OS you select when dealing with the BIOS.

Then download the latest BSS file under "BIOS". I did mine in 12-17-17 so I used file "X37AK919.BSS AGESA 1.0.0.6b update 16384 KB 2017-09-19"

Format a USB drive or memory card to FAT32 by right clicking, then select format and go from there. Then drag the file to your USB stick or memory card. SELECT TO EJECT IT BUT DO NOT REMOVE IT! There is no need to extract anything.

Shut off your system. Don't restart. Shut it off. Wait 10 seconds or so and then turn it back on.

First, go into the BIOS by hitting DELETE until the BIOS shows (or if you have a light up keyboard, just hit delete after the keyboard lights up). When in the BIOS press F3 and yes to load optimized defaults. Then press F10 to save and exit.

Now at the intro screen again, hit F12 at the first screen and keep hitting it until you get to the BIOS flasher screen (or if you have a light up keyboard, just hit delete after the keyboard lights up). Now select one of the two options available. One will say not available or something like that. The other should say X37AK919.BSS or whatever file name you downloaded and put on your USB device.

Run that file. If you didn't do this right it may say corrupted or something like that and won't run it. Make sure to format the USB device first and use FAT32. And don't remove the stick or card during any of this.

If you did do this right you will see purple progress bars, followed by yellow, followed by purple, then yellow again... just wait till it is done.

Now, on the restart go back into the BIOS with the DELETE button. Press F3 then F10 again. Select yes on both. Then shut you computer down for 10 minutes or so. If you skip this part it may act kinda funny. For me, if I did not do this and instead just went in and set my passwords and settings again, and then went to log in, it would take my password, then go back to the initial BIOS password screen again and ask for it again. I figure shutting down after resetting all settings in the BIOS should prevent this. Anyway, then start the pc back up and go back into the BIOS, set your settings and passwords and whatnot and go about your business.

So, yes, the BIOS can be updated on this board if you are using linux. You just have to use the BSS file.

This video should give you an idea of what it is like to update the BIOS even though it is a different motherboard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR4airHFDCE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the question I have that may end or begin the next stage of this mess. Drivers.
The Chipset, On-Board VGA (Bristol CPU Only), On-Board LAN, On-Board Audio, Serial ATA RAID, BIOSCreen Utility, BIOS Update Utility, eHot-Line Utility, AMD RAIDXpert Driver, RACING GT Utility, FLY.NET Utility

What do you do with these? Do they require a windows operating system to work? Are they even needed on MINT?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Hardware Support”