Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
linuxwhatthe
Level 1
Level 1

USB Boot on Netbook - keyboard locks up, with external monitor

Post by linuxwhatthe »

Hi,

Using an HD15 monitor and cable, and a usb keyboard on a Toshiba Netbook; and booting from a usb drive -

Whenever the monitor (tv, in this case) is connected, the keyboard locks up. I can't click on anything, from the external keyboard, or from the Netbook keyboard. As soon as I disconnect the monitor, I can click and type directly on the Netbook screen.

Do you have any idea, where I should look first?

Regards,

ClixTrix
Level 6
Level 6

Re: USB Boot on Netbook - keyboard locks up, with external monitor

Post by ClixTrix »

Could be a bad cable or bad port at either end of the HD15 cable.

I suggest the following tests:

1) Disconnecting the HD15 cable at the Netbook end (assumed) appears to clear the problem. Check if disconnect from Monitor end does the same. If it doesn't, do you have another cable to test.

2) Test with TV Monitor turned OFF and HD15 connected at both ends.

3) Test with the external keyboard disconnected.

Since you are booting from USB, is there an OS installed that you can boot and test the TV Monitor?
Linux Mint 19.2 x64 Cinnamon 4.15.0-88-generic
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H (F20) / Ryzen 5 1600 / Micron Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 2x8GB / Sapphire Radeon HD6450
NVMe-SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB / SATA-SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB + Toshiba OCZ VX500 512GB

linuxwhatthe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: USB Boot on Netbook - keyboard locks up, with external monitor

Post by linuxwhatthe »

"Could be a bad cable or bad port at either end of the HD15 cable."

Definitely not. The monitor works fine, with other operating systems. For example, I have FreeDos on a flash drive, and the there's no locking up.

I suggest the following tests:

"1) Disconnecting the HD15 cable at the Netbook end (assumed) appears to clear the problem. Check if disconnect from Monitor end does the same. If it doesn't, do you have another cable to test."

Already done. Disconnecting does indeed bring back keyboard access. Also, I've tried 2 other cables, with the same results. And all 3 cables work fine, when booting up elsewhere. Also, the Netbook itself is Windows 7; the keyboard lockup doesn't happen, when using the same external monitor and the same cable.

"2) Test with TV Monitor turned OFF and HD15 connected at both ends."

Interesting. I'll try, to see what happens.

"3) Test with the external keyboard disconnected."

I might have tried this, but will do so again.

"Since you are booting from USB, is there an OS installed that you can boot and test the TV Monitor?"

Yes. Already confirmed that it worked fine with 2 other operating systems.

Ok, thanks. I'll try those other two suggestions, just to get a few extra facts down, that might hint at a reason.

Return to “Hardware Support”