Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
DKYang
Level 1
Level 1

Beep sound on shutdown and backspace

Post by DKYang »

I also had this problem on Ubuntu before I made the switch to Mint. I tried searching online and on both the ubuntu and this forum with no success.

When I shutdown/restart my laptop, it makes one been noise. When I hold onto the backspace key after all the text has been deleted, it makes beeping sounds. Also, just now after using Geany(IDE software for programming). When I hit compile it makes the beep noise while it doesn't when I execute the program.

I'm assuming it's because my sound card might be old, but it's only from 2006 so I didn't think it would be the cause. I've went into the volume control and changed some settings to no avail. My friends also has ubuntu and I asked him to do the backspace thing. His laptop makes no beeping sounds whatsoever and even on shutdown.

Does anyone have a solution to this? I really like this IDE program and would like to use it when creating programs. I'm also taking courses and probably would just do the projects in class and this beeping noise isn't going to be helpful. :(

Thanks.

markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Beep sound on shutdown and backspace

Post by markcynt »

Have you tried disabling sound effects? You have to go into "Sound", which is accessed through either "Preferences", "Control center", or by opening "GNOME Do">typing sound>then enter.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

hskov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hskov »

Hello,

I have this BEEP on shutdown - on two different laptops both running "Gloria". I have tried to turn off all sound effects through the Control Center, but this doesn't help. (The BEEP is actually not one of the sounds listed under "Control Center - Sounds".)

Does anyone have an idea how to get rid of this?

Thanks,
Henrik

dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire »

If I'm right on this, the "beep" (which I have, too), comes from the mobo and the tiny internal system speaker. Not through the soundcard, which the sound controls in the sound section of the preferences menu would address.
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint

lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lagagnon »

The shutdown beep is a bug in Ubuntu with certain machines. You can fix it if you like: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/07/26/ ... -tutorial/

MildlyCSG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MildlyCSG »

lagagnon wrote:The shutdown beep is a bug in Ubuntu with certain machines. You can fix it if you like: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/07/26/ ... -tutorial/
Thanks for the help, but it did not work for me. I had to blacklist snd_pcsp, otherwise it would still beep. To do that, I simply appended blacklist snd_pcsp to the end of the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

If modprobe does not let you remove snd_pcsp do not worry. Simply restart your computer and snd_pcsp will not be loaded next time.

rdh61
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rdh61 »

I solved this by muting PC Speaker in Volume Control. I still get all other sounds, music, etc.

Return to “Hardware Support”