[Not Solved] The “Meltdown” bug is hitting Intel

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brvcf
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Not Solved] The “Meltdown” bug is hitting Intel

Post by brvcf »

New kernel 14.13.0.26 broke video on 2 PCs so far. Nvidia-304 driver won't allow proper resolution on desktop with GeForce 6150SE. Changing to open source driver fixed. Toshiba NB205 netbook same problem and video corruption but there is no alternative driver. Isn't this the kind of shtuff we switched from Windows to avoid??
stavpup
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stavpup »

How to Check If Your Linux PC Is Vulnerable to Meltdown & Spectre Security Flaws

http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-c ... 9364.shtml
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

brvcf wrote:New kernel 14.13.0.26 broke video on 2 PCs so far. Nvidia-304 driver won't allow proper resolution on desktop with GeForce 6150SE. Changing to open source driver fixed. Toshiba NB205 netbook same problem and video corruption but there is no alternative driver. Isn't this the kind of shtuff we switched from Windows to avoid??
I'm afraid that anyone who switched to Linux to avoid hardware support/compatibility issues did so for the wrong reason. Hardware support is the biggest problem in Linux in general. The Gentoo forums are filled with posts about trying to find kernels that work with their hardware, and Gentoo users know what they're doing. You can't really even install Gentoo otherwise.

You could try the recommended 4.4 series kernel for meltdown.

This is obviously a real problem judging from the number of forum posts on the subject. I don't see any answer right now except for juggling kernels.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Hoser Rob wrote:Hardware support is the biggest problem in Linux in general.
It's a long time ago that I had a real hardware problem with Linux. Usually, everything works out of the box. Even some ancient hardware which is no longer supported in Windows.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
brvcf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brvcf »

Hoser Rob wrote:I'm afraid that anyone who switched to Linux to avoid hardware support/compatibility issues did so for the wrong reason. Hardware support is the biggest problem in Linux in general ......This is obviously a real problem judging from the number of forum posts on the subject. I don't see any answer right now except for juggling kernels.
Yes, in the past I have spent a lot of time on a new installation trying to get graphics, wifi, or something else working properly. The older the hardware, the more likely the problem. I'm getting smarter about that and giving up more quickly. It's not worth spending hours on an older computer. No one is going to pay me for that time.

Most Mint installations I have done recently work perfectly but not all.

The thing I'm complaining about is everything working perfectly after install and then a problem after the update. This has never been a problem until this recent kernel update. At least, unlike WIndows 10, we get a list of updates that are reasonably well described and have a choice as to whether they are installed.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see the big deal with these vulnerabilities on a personal computer. Don't install unknown programs and use a script blocker in your browser.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

This is interesting:

For months I've been having Motherboard issues - principally losing USB function. So I ordered a new one.

And since this bug came up, I've installed all the patches sent out about it, and guess what?

The USBs aren't failing any more. Why would that happen?

And of course, the new MB has arrived..... :roll: :roll:
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

So many people seem to confuse vulnerabilities and exploits. While spectre and meltdown (cute and catchy names, by the way) have created vulnerabilities. The actual exploits are, well, maybe, just about ZERO.

Loading patches and updates to the OS and to applications is the only way for a user to mitigate both vulnerabilities and exploits AND the only way to effect changes that just might fix unrelated issues with - sometimes - hardware.

I'm not saying to ignore the very real problems of spectre and meldown, but be realistic these issues have been around for far longer than the cute and catchy names. I am saying keep up with your system maintenance and your system will keep up with you.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

jglen490 wrote:The actual exploits are, well, maybe, just about ZERO.
Yet.
jglen490 wrote:I am saying keep up with your system maintenance and your system will keep up with you.
Realistically, for systems with an Intel CPU this will only be so, when Intel will (eventually) provide fixed microcode for that CPU. From the looks of it, Intel will only do that for CPU's up to 10 years old. Maybe not even for all of them.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

I don't disagree. My points are the difference between a vulnerability and an exploit, and the absolute virtue of keeping your system patched and updated, always. Learn about vulnerabilities but don't go into a panic. Panic about an exploit if you want to, and then mitigate the exploit by consistently applying OS and application patches and updates - and using good computing behavior.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

To paraphrase an old axiom:

"Praise the community but keep your kernel updated"

Spoiler:

"Praise the Lord but keep your powder dry"
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

jglen490 wrote:I don't disagree. My points are the difference between a vulnerability and an exploit, and the absolute virtue of keeping your system patched and updated, always. Learn about vulnerabilities but don't go into a panic. Panic about an exploit if you want to, and then mitigate the exploit by consistently applying OS and application patches and updates - and using good computing behavior.
In that, you're right. Fear is a bad counselor.

I would add: if you wish to buy a new computer this year, don't buy one with an Intel CPU. Go for AMD.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

And I would agree with you on that - fewer vulnerabilities :)

Return to “Hardware Support”