Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Minteum
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED)Radeon Drivers and YouTube Choppy videos

Post by Minteum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:27 am

I installed Linux Mint Mate 18.3 -64bit on my Compaq Presario CQ58

AMD E300-APU with Radeon HD Graphics (2 cores - 2 Threads , 1.33Ghz)
RAM : DDR3 4GB

The Problem is that whenever I play a video on YouTube it plays choppy and after some time the sound de-syncs and tries to sync with the video and it gives a bad overall experience and I notice the processor is at 90% and struggling .

When I play a second video on YouTube the experience is really bad and both cores are maxed out at 100%.
Ram is no problem according to the system monitoring program.

Through the Driver Manager I installed the proprietary driver AMD64-microcode and it is in use.

I have an second and older Laptop with Intel graphics and had no problem. So the problem with this laptop here must be with AMD graphics. Is there any solution for this problem ?
Last edited by Minteum on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClixTrix
Level 6
Level 6

Re: AMD Drivers and YouTube Choppy videos

Post by ClixTrix » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:48 am

AMD64-microcode is processor microcode and generally should NOT be installed.

Mint 18 uses the AMD open source driver and you're not the first to report a sluggish laptop with AMD APU. Unfortunately, there is no proprietary driver support in Mint 18 due to AMD ending support. The other possibility is an older Kernel might work better.

Try installing the latest Kernel 4.4.xxx from Update Manager for a test. You'll need to select that Kernel at boot from Grub boot manager. If that works, just uninstall the 4.10.xx kernel from Update Manager to complete the switch to the older Kernel.

If that doesn't work, I would try booting Mint 17.3 from Live flash and see if the AMD proprietary driver works better.
Linux Mint 19.2 x64 Cinnamon 4.15.0-72-generic
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H (F20) / Ryzen 5 1600 / Micron Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 2x8GB / Sapphire Radeon HD6450
NVMe-SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB / SATA-SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB + Toshiba OCZ VX500 512GB

Minteum
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Radeon Drivers and YouTube Choppy videos

Post by Minteum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:32 am

So, for users that have an AMD Radeon graphics card, they can't use Mint 18 and above ? That was it ?

ArtGirl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ArtGirl » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:36 am

Minteum wrote:So, for users that have an AMD Radeon graphics card, they can't use Mint 18 and above ? That was it ?
I'm using Radeon and it's fine, on 18.3. Please see specs below, if anything in there is helpful. I'm using the Mint drivers for it, mesa, etc. Choppy videos might be to do with browser; no issues on Waterfox.
18.3 Mate 64bit
Radeon R9 255, Mesa 17.2.8, 4.15.0-13,
Lenovo x310, intel i7-4790, 16 ram,
Ugee 2150

For any advice I've been able to add, eg re graphics tablets, please search forum.

Minteum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minteum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:01 am

So the second post was kind of confusing despite giving some true information.
I changed the kernel according to him but I am experiencing tremendous video lag/chopped vids on youtube videos on 480p and on full screen is at its worst.
I don't want to go back to 17.3 yet. I will try what you just said here about changing a browser and will report back.
If it works it will give solutions to people who have the same problem.

It would be also useful if you used Chromium and tell us about your experience. If video playback is choppy then the suspect is Chromium.

Minteum
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Minteum » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:35 am

ArtGirl wrote:
Minteum wrote:So, for users that have an AMD Radeon graphics card, they can't use Mint 18 and above ? That was it ?
I'm using Radeon and it's fine, on 18.3. Please see specs below, if anything in there is helpful. I'm using the Mint drivers for it, mesa, etc. Choppy videos might be to do with browser; no issues on Waterfox.

You were right. I used firefox and I had no issue. It was simple. I installed the latest kernel again and installed the amd65 driver back and it was fine.

I want to highlight the problem once more. It was the Chromium that was causing the problem with this current system of mine.
Because the system AMD is old. Even though 64 bit it is not to be trusted.
I have an second generation i3 laptop with integrated graphics card which I bought 6 years ago and it runs perfect on 18.3 Linux Mate even on Chromium with Full High at 60fps on youtube videos. I opened 20 youtube tabs to test its limits and it was running perfect.

I don't trust AMD any longer.

ArtGirl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ArtGirl » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:23 am

Minteum wrote:
ArtGirl wrote:
You were right. I used firefox and I had no issue. It was simple. I installed the latest kernel again and installed the amd65 driver back and it was fine.

I want to highlight the problem once more. It was the Chromium that was causing the problem with this current system of mine.
Because the system AMD is old. Even though 64 bit it is not to be trusted.
I have an second generation i3 laptop with integrated graphics card which I bought 6 years ago and it runs perfect on 18.3 Linux Mate even on Chromium with Full High at 60fps on youtube videos. I opened 20 youtube tabs to test its limits and it was running perfect.

I don't trust AMD any longer.
I hadn't known what an APU is, but have seen a good description here (2011 article):
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/apu-technology-explained/. Not sure how that would affect things, but I'd not write AMD off, tbh, or 64-bit ... newer systems just need some new learning/drivers etc. If your present system is now working fine, that's great news.
18.3 Mate 64bit
Radeon R9 255, Mesa 17.2.8, 4.15.0-13,
Lenovo x310, intel i7-4790, 16 ram,
Ugee 2150

For any advice I've been able to add, eg re graphics tablets, please search forum.

ClixTrix
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ClixTrix » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:30 am

No, just to be clear....Mint 17.3 operates with the AMD Proprietary Driver and not the AMD Open Source in Mint 18. The older Proprietary Driver "sometimes" provides better performance on the older chips, and I've had that experience with an AMD APU Client Laptop from about 2012 and Mint 17.3. It's why I make the suggestion to test 17.3 and verify if it makes a difference.

I've had a similar experience with AMD GPU/APU in Windows 10. There is a chip-based cutoff point where the older AMD drivers from pre-2015 work with the older chips. Installing a newer driver past that cutoff point gives horrible results and isn't advised by AMD at their download site.

Glad to see you're stable with Firefox and that the current Chromium is the culprit, or at least suspect.
Linux Mint 19.2 x64 Cinnamon 4.15.0-72-generic
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H (F20) / Ryzen 5 1600 / Micron Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 2x8GB / Sapphire Radeon HD6450
NVMe-SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB / SATA-SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB + Toshiba OCZ VX500 512GB

Return to “Hardware Support”