Ryzen/Mobo/Linux Mint compatabilty

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rymar
Level 1
Level 1

Ryzen/Mobo/Linux Mint compatabilty

Post by rymar »

I'm in the process of building a new system and I'd like to use the AMD Ryzen series of processors. Have searched online for a compatible motherboard but the more I look the more confusing the results. Anyone out there who's recently has built their own using this setup? I'm an experienced builder but so little is out there with respect to Ryzen and Linux as well as Linux and compatible mobos. It doesn't have to be the fastest gaming system because Windows is not part of this and...well gaming on Linux is still a ways from where it could be. Appreciate any feedback with details.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Have been using Linux on and off for most of twenty years. Seen the good, the bad and..well...the ugly. Switched to Mint several years ago. Prior to that used Kubuntu. Currently I'm co-chair of the Vernon BC Canada Linux Users Group.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Ryzen/Mobo/Linux Mint compatabilty

Post by Spearmint2 »

rymar wrote:I'm in the process of building a new system and I'd like to use the AMD Ryzen series of processors. Have searched online for a compatible motherboard but the more I look the more confusing the results. Anyone out there who's recently has built their own using this setup? I'm an experienced builder but so little is out there with respect to Ryzen and Linux as well as Linux and compatible mobos. It doesn't have to be the fastest gaming system because Windows is not part of this and...well gaming on Linux is still a ways from where it could be. Appreciate any feedback with details.
What I've seen in windows based forums at CNET is Ryzen works ONLY with the newest motherboards, or those providing BIOS updates since it's release. So, concentrate on newest motherboards and check those forums to see if any Ryzen users have had problems, or give it a go for the motherboard you are interested in.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

See my signature for my system.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Ryzen works fine with linux. You may need to go to at least a 4.11 series kernel to get full support for the hardware, preferably 4.13.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
pcwolf

Post by pcwolf »

I built a new system last month using an Asrock X370 board with a Ryzen 1700X booting from an M.2. NVME Samsung drive. I wanted the 16 cores for BOINC number crunching. Works fine dual-booting with Windows 10. Unbeknownst to me, I somehow managed to install both Linux Mint 18.2 KDE and WIN10 in legacy BIOS boot mode. (Do not understand well the difference between that and UEFI mode.) The latest Asrock UEFI update allows me to run my rather plain Corsair 8x2 3200-rated RAM at 2933; later updates are supposed to allow full speed. I understand RAM / RYZEN compatibility has been in flux since release of the CPU. Couple of Asrock MB for AMD4 socket are available at variety of stores just over $100.

Motherboard also came with Intel AC-3168 Wifi-BT M.2. form factor board. Mint recognized it first try and I am getting my full ISP promised rate with it.

Hope that helps.
-Phil
Yorktown, Virginia
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Unbeknownst to me, I somehow managed to install both Linux Mint 18.2 KDE and WIN10 in legacy BIOS boot mode. (Do not understand well the difference between that and UEFI mode.)
What's wrong with that? You can run 64 bit OS and GPT drives in Legacy too. About the only advantage I see for UEFI is windows 10 users who want Secure Boot.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
rymar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rymar »

Ok so I'm going to call this solved but still somewhat unresolved.
Have been using Linux on and off for most of twenty years. Seen the good, the bad and..well...the ugly. Switched to Mint several years ago. Prior to that used Kubuntu. Currently I'm co-chair of the Vernon BC Canada Linux Users Group.
volgaa77

Post by volgaa77 »

I am planning to build a ryzen based system too but it is almost impossible to come across a forum where people list am4 motherboards that work out of the box so just like you I am looking forward to people sharing the motherboard brands and models they use without any compatibility problems with mint 18.3. My main aim is to use 2200g ör 2400g for daily use. If I manage to obtain any information I am going to share it on this forum rightaway.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

rymar wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:12 pm a compatible motherboard but the more I look the more confusing the results.
I use this board: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard ... g-5-rev-10
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

volgaa77 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:20 am I am planning to build a ryzen based system too but it is almost impossible to come across a forum where people list am4 motherboards that work out of the box so just like you I am looking forward to people sharing the motherboard brands and models they use without any compatibility problems with mint 18.3. My main aim is to use 2200g ör 2400g for daily use. If I manage to obtain any information I am going to share it on this forum rightaway.
The new Raven Ridge 2200g and 2400g need BIOS support (update) on the older AM4 boards or they won't even post. Make sure you check with supplier or look for boards that are stated as Raven Ridge Ready or even the new 2nd gen Ryzen Plus / Pinnacle Ridge Ready.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

volgaa77 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:20 am I am planning to build a ryzen based system too but it is almost impossible to come across a forum where people list am4 motherboards that work out of the box so just like you I am looking forward to people sharing the motherboard brands and models they use without any compatibility problems with mint 18.3. My main aim is to use 2200g ör 2400g for daily use. If I manage to obtain any information I am going to share it on this forum rightaway.
I did recently build a computer using the Ryzen 2400G . You will need kernal 4.15 or 4.16 . other wise it will not fully work. Stay away from Asrock (learned this the hardway.) They have no way of adjusting the memory used by the video in the bios and it defaults to very low memory. I know MSI allows you to adjust the memory in the Bios. the MSI B350M gaming pro I can confirm working well with the Ryzen 2400G with any mother boards manufactured after January 2018. Other manufactures I would ask them. Some think its ok not to have the settings on the bios now and think youll make the changes through windows :evil: .

Also keep in mind that AMD has no official drivers for linux for the graphics side of the chip. So you will have to use open source.

I was able to get a score on medium settings of Superposition Benchmark of 1870. compaered to a GTX 1050 scored 4385. Both running on same hardware.
volgaa77

Post by volgaa77 »

Thanks for your input catweazel, ClixTrix and silvatech. I have decided to suspend for now. ı am going to wait a little bit for Ryzen 2nd gen performance results. Maybe it will be better just to buy an Nvidia card like gtx1050ti and couple it with r5 2600. Thanks for the info and your opinion.
Last edited by volgaa77 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

Oh, one other thing to note about Ryzen. Make sure you buy 2 memory sticks. As Ryzen is dependent on memory speeds and youll want to be running in Dual memory mode. Single memory slows down ryzen.

Return to “Hardware Support”