Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
iFunktion
Level 1
Level 1

Roccat Drivers permission denied

Post by iFunktion » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi there,

I am trying to install the drivers for a roccat mouse. I have done the following:
added the PPA
installed roccat tools from the software manager

So the preferences all come up now in the linux mint menu, however I am getting the following message:
Could not read actual profile
Could not open file /dev/hidraw4 for device key hidraw0: Permission denied

What has happened here. I have had the drivers running on here before, but it was about 2 years ago and I can't remember how I got them working, I've reinstalled the OS since then.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Roccat Drivers permission denied

Post by Mute Ant » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:27 am

Your user doesn't have read-permission for /dev/hidraw4. Something similar happens with the TTY device nodes...
ls -l /dev/tty0 -----> crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 0 Jan 13 08:50 /dev/tty0
Only root is allowed to read it, to stop anyone else reading what the user on TTY0 is typing.

What is the result of the command ls -l /dev/hdraw4 on your OS?
Right at the bottom, all alone in the centre of the bright cold floor, was a lemon drop.

iFunktion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iFunktion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 am

Ah, no such file. What does that mean, other than it's not there, why would it not be there if it came from the software manager?

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 am

Has the machine been rebooted since you installed the new driver software? A generic kernel looks at the hardware each time it boots and connects the external modules it needs for the hardware it finds. That process generates the devices under /dev/ too. If you know which .ko module(s) are the new driver(s) you can attach them manually, with the modprobe command... reboot is easier.
Right at the bottom, all alone in the centre of the bright cold floor, was a lemon drop.

iFunktion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iFunktion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:17 am

Ah, no, not yet, I will try in a little while. That sounds promising, I will post back later this evening with a reply as to whether it works or not. Thanks for your input.

iFunktion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iFunktion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Rebooted, still not working, getting the same error

iFunktion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iFunktion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Does anyone know how to fix this error?

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pdc_2 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:40 pm

I notice on the ppa page https://launchpad.net/~berfenger/+archi ... roccatthat there is advice
After installing the package "roccat-tools", you have to add every user you want to be able to use the roccat tools to the group "roccat". It can be done in the system settings menu or by typing in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo adduser iFunktion roccat
........ assuming I have guessed your username correctly .............

I just thought to ask about that; when I see this page http://roccat.sourceforge.net/ it all looks like one needs to get a whole lot of details all sorted

I note that the above page echoes the advice about adding the user to the group roccat,
Please note that there's one thing the packages can't do for you. All users that should be able to change the settings have to be added to group roccat
........ so that's what the ppa says ..........

and says further ..........
Also note that after installation the device needs to be replugged and the user needs to relogin for all changes to take effect.

Return to “Hardware Support”