I've been away from linux for 4-5 long years, and just this week returned. Cinnamon is looking great, and I'm impressed by how smoothly everything is running.
I just bought an Asus Zenbook Flip S (model UX370UA-XH74T-BL, with the i7-8550 & nvme drive), Win 10 Pro pre-installed. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but wanted to share my experience installing Mint 18.3 (Cinnamon, 64bit) on this machine, in case others are considering this hardware and worried about compatibility. Generally, all has gone very well; a few minor issues, no major issues so far.
- Booted into Windows
- Create Windows user (by default, I associated this with my Microsoft account -- this turns out to be important)
- Ran all Windows updates, rebooting a few times
- Created Windows recovery USB drive
- Start | Recovery | Advanced (restart now), on recovery screen chose advanced option to boot into UEFI bios
- In bios, disabled Fastboot, disabled SecureBoot (bad move)
At this point, I tried to boot back into Windows, but bitlocker locked me out because I disabled SecureBoot. I needed my bitlocker/secureboot recovery key. Fortunately, since my Windows user account is my Microsoft account, Microsoft automatically stored the key in my Microsoft account (whew) online.
- Logged in to my account on another machine, got very long key, typed it in. Got back in Windows.
- Turned off bitlocker. NOTE: I think if I had turned off bitlocker and THEN disabled SecureBoot, I wouldn't have had a problem. (I think I can even reenable bitlocker now that SecureBoot is disabled, but I haven't tried.)
- Reboot into Windows successfully.
- Partitioned drive using Windows Partion tool (divided main Windows partion into two approximately equal sizes).
- Rebooted into Windows again, twice, just to be paranoid.
- Plugged in bootable Linux Mint USB drive
- Start | Recovery | Advanced (restart now), chose advanced option to boot from USB drive, live boot into Mint
- Ran installer, chose to install Mint alongside Windows. Installer created main and swap partition, and completed in a few minutes.
I have not yet reenabled Bitlocker OR SecureBoot. I think I will leave SecureBoot turned off unless someone reassures me that it is ok to turn on. Probably I will try turning on Bitlocker soon.
Most things seem to be working:
- Wireless good
- Bluetooth good
- USB type-C ports good, included hub good
- Touch screen partly good: does not work correctly when I am using an external monitor along side main screen. When I touch main screen, the touch position appears on the external monitor.
- Function keys good
- Headphone jack good
- Volume controls good
- Brightness controls good
- I am not sure if Mint is going to sleep when I close the lid. (How can I check this? It's like closing the refrigerator door... did the light turn off?)
- Tablet mode not working correctly. It seems like I need to do something to disable the keyboard and/or rotate the display.
- Have not checked fingerprint reader under Mint.