[SOLVED] Mint 18.3 on 2010 MacBook (7,1)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
user2589-a

[SOLVED] Mint 18.3 on 2010 MacBook (7,1)

Post by user2589-a »

Hello,
I have Mint 18.3 on my 2010 MacBook (7,1) and it is working very nice. I replaced the HDD with a SSD which makes it really fast. I do have 2 minor issues that I can't really figure out.
The MacBook has a NVIDIA 320M graphic card which is according to NVIDIA supported by the NVIDIA 340 driver. However, every time I install the driver the MacBook won't boot anymore. It boots up to the point where I usually type in the encryption key password but I can't because the keyboard for some odd reason is disabled at that point. The only thing left to do is to boot in to recovery mode and remove the NVIDIA driver via console. After that everything is working normal again. It really is a puzzling experience.
The other issue is that the build in camera isn't detected at all. Since I never use the camera it really isn't something I worry about but I thought I mention it here for other fellow Mac users.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 18.3 on 2010 MacBook (7,1)

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
user2589-a

Re: Mint 18.3 on 2010 MacBook (7,1)

Post by user2589-a »

While the information about the driver was helpful, additional steps have to be taken on a MacBook to install the NVIDIA driver. I did some more digging around and came up with a explanation of the whole issue which is that Apple's firmware does not actually activate the VGA card as PCI-E bus master. One has to set two PCI-E registers: one that enables bus-mastering on the video card and the other one enabling VGA support on the PCI-E bridge of the video card. The following link outlines pretty good what to do: https://askubuntu.com/questions/264247/ ... 4eff56106e

Return to “Hardware Support”