Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
foxtreat
Level 1
Level 1

Internal Mic not working with headphones 18.3

Post by foxtreat » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:23 pm

After updating from 18.2 to 18.3 on both my laptops,a AWFUL bug occured on my main gaming laptop-due to having only one port for headphones and a microphone,i used my headphones,while using the internal mic(it has higher quality audio no matter how i test is)
however after updating to 18.3
When i insert my headphones (or external large speakers in the same port) The Laptop Switches to a Unexistent external mic(outputin silent static,because it..well...doesnt exist)
No matter what headphone i put in,the laptop switches to the unexistent ghost external mic,this completely renders gaming(what i mainly use my pc for) Unusable
due to either lack of suround sound from headphones,OR lack of any Speech transfer due to well...Heaadphones
i searched online both the ubuntu and the mint forums for a similiar problem,found only one person who had it
and he was ignored
i tried using pavucontrol,which listed my INTERNAL microphone as Unplugged when i connect any headphones to the jack,and says a internal Microphone is plugged in,which is a lie
my Laptop is a HP Pavillion 15,8g ram intel I5 7Gen 2,5-3.1ghz and a Nvidia 940MX,preinstalling to a clean 18.3 did NOT fix the problem
Completely reinstalling ALSA and Pulseaudio did not either,but removed any system sounds(lowering or increasing the volume beeps,notification sounds,Log in greeting sound,changing the volume worked,just without the beeps to indicate it,the sounds were still activated in the settings,but that doesnt matter

IS THIS MICROPHONE PROBLEM-a hardware fault?i know that some computers just stop any audio or Input when anything enters the jack,maybe the jack is malfunctioning,i will just re install 18.2 even thought i highly anticipated the 18.3 update mostly for the software manager and the hybrid sleep features
or is this fixable,if it stops working on 18.2 i will update my question
NOTE:THE MIC works perfectly well with headphones on my older laptop which was updated alongside,
PLEASE HELP
EDIT: i tried out a 18.2 mint Live USB and the problem still occurs.....for me meaning it is almost definately not Linux Mint related
BUT-is it fixable by mint? if there is just a way to allow my computer to realiste the internal mic has not ben unplugger/ripped off anytime headphones are connected would be enough-Is it possible?
if yes-how?
Laptop 18.2,fanatic,Gaming,just a average highly hyped user

ClixTrix
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Internal Mic not working with headphones 18.3

Post by ClixTrix » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:56 am

Page 14 of the User Manual for the HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC has some interesting conditions/caveats on use of the audio port/jack.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03939658

It kind of suggests you use a special headphone-mic combo only for the port. (Edit) It probably explains why the internal mic switches to phantom mic, i.e. it's a hardware function to detect the port use and redirect speakers and mic to that port, whether there is a real mic there or not.

Edit: Possible solution/alternative is to use a USB audio adapter for your headphones. Not endorsing this one as I've not used it, but it does appear to work with Linux. Obviously, you could also get USB headphones. If the system has bluetooth (specs and manual say yes), you could also get bluetooth headphone and go wireless.

https://www.amazon.com/external-Adapter ... C874QJA8HR
Linux Mint 18.3 x64 Cinnamon Kernel 4.15.0-22-generic
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H (F20) / Ryzen 5 1600 / Micron Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 2x8GB / XFX HD5450-1GB
NVMe-SSD Samsung EVO 960 250GB / HDD WD1600BEKT 160GB / SSD Toshiba OCZ VX500 512GB

foxtreat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foxtreat » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:28 pm

ClixTrix wrote:Page 14 of the User Manual for the HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC has some interesting conditions/caveats on use of the audio port/jack.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03939658

It kind of suggests you use a special headphone-mic combo only for the port. (Edit) It probably explains why the internal mic switches to phantom mic, i.e. it's a hardware function to detect the port use and redirect speakers and mic to that port, whether there is a real mic there or not.

Edit: Possible solution/alternative is to use a USB audio adapter for your headphones. Not endorsing this one as I've not used it, but it does appear to work with Linux. Obviously, you could also get USB headphones. If the system has bluetooth (specs and manual say yes), you could also get bluetooth headphone and go wireless.

https://www.amazon.com/external-Adapter ... C874QJA8HR
i looked through the manual,learned that it does not support microphone only connection,but nothing about speaker only connection,the deal is i have pretty expensive headphones with good quality sound atm,and some time ago ,if i pluged only the headphones,i could hear through them but still use my laptop Internal Mic,i did however notice that after i just randomly tried mic only connection,that headphones started blocking the internal Mic.
i would guess it isnt linux connected but a randomly appearing hardware fault
changing to another Headphone set is neither budget friendly nor a good choice since i just bought this set,but the problem persists with any mic
i bought and tested 3 External USB headphone/mic connectors
2 of them did not light up,the third worked but the audio quality was HORRIBLE BEYOND USE:CONSTANT audio feed with static,any sound played was extremely silent and barely able to be heard from the constant static,the problem persistent on the working-as-intended laptop aswell,so its either linux or most definately just poor quality .i cant keep buying USB audio dongles to find one that works,
QUESTION:
can i,in linux in any manner,lock my PC to use only the internal Mic No matter what is connected and what not,i tried PulseAudio but it says the internal mic is Disconected
IS just blocking other mics possible?

ClixTrix
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ClixTrix » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:19 am

The way I'm reading/interpreting the manual, it's a specific hardware function to detect and switch speaker and mic to the combo port, when port use is detected. That appears to fit what is happening from your description, i.e. you plug in headphones (only) and they work, but onboard mic is disabled and a phantom mic appears that hardware is creating around the combo port. I don't see that as a linux/OS function other than detection of hardware. If the use of the combo port disables the onboard mic hardware, I don't think there is an OS solution. Again, this appears to fit both manual and your description of what's happening. It's this quote from the manual that drives my thinking of combo only:

"Be sure that the device cable has a 4-conductor
connector that supports both audio-out (headphone) and
audio-in (microphone)."

If you want to use the onboard mic, then apparently you can't plug anything into the combo port. If it "was" somehow working with headphones only and onboard mic, is the port damaged?

I'm thinking this is a BIOS-firmware function of the system and operating that way by design. Maybe HP Technical Support has a solution or can confirm if the port is damaged/malfunctioning.

Edit: Just wanted to point at a 4-conductor jack, so you can see what the port normally requires for combo. At least that's what it's suggesting. Note, it's an Apple?? standard (edit: I think that's an Apple pad standard).

https://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart. ... gIDxvD_BwE

Could a 3-conductor jack somehow cause a short or problem? Don't know, but it's worth checking with HP. Maybe that is a potential fix.
Linux Mint 18.3 x64 Cinnamon Kernel 4.15.0-22-generic
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H (F20) / Ryzen 5 1600 / Micron Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 2x8GB / XFX HD5450-1GB
NVMe-SSD Samsung EVO 960 250GB / HDD WD1600BEKT 160GB / SSD Toshiba OCZ VX500 512GB

foxtreat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foxtreat » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:37 am

ClixTrix wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:19 am
The way I'm reading/interpreting the manual, it's a specific hardware function to detect and switch speaker and mic to the combo port, when port use is detected. That appears to fit what is happening from your description, i.e. you plug in headphones (only) and they work, but onboard mic is disabled and a phantom mic appears that hardware is creating around the combo port. I don't see that as a linux/OS function other than detection of hardware. If the use of the combo port disables the onboard mic hardware, I don't think there is an OS solution. Again, this appears to fit both manual and your description of what's happening. It's this quote from the manual that drives my thinking of combo only:

"Be sure that the device cable has a 4-conductor
connector that supports both audio-out (headphone) and
audio-in (microphone)."

If you want to use the onboard mic, then apparently you can't plug anything into the combo port. If it "was" somehow working with headphones only and onboard mic, is the port damaged?

I'm thinking this is a BIOS-firmware function of the system and operating that way by design. Maybe HP Technical Support has a solution or can confirm if the port is damaged/malfunctioning.

Edit: Just wanted to point at a 4-conductor jack, so you can see what the port normally requires for combo. At least that's what it's suggesting. Note, it's an Apple?? standard (edit: I think that's an Apple pad standard).

https://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart. ... gIDxvD_BwE

Could a 3-conductor jack somehow cause a short or problem? Don't know, but it's worth checking with HP. Maybe that is a potential fix.
my headphones have a 3 conductor jack
plugging them in worked with headphones and internal mic
external mic had the exact same jack
plugging them in caused pc to go to external mic and external headphones(and neither worked)
plugging any headphone into the jack afterwards makes headphones work and uses a phantom mic
the jacks were the same shouldn't be damaged in any way
maybe software glitch on the jack or bios/mother board?

Return to “Hardware Support”