Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
137ben
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] HP laptop battery recall and Mint

Post by 137ben » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:55 pm

UPDATE: I was able to dual-boot Windows 10, and used that to run the HP Battery utility.

In fall 2016, I bought an HP x360 m3 convertible notebook. The first thing I did was install Mint, and I opted not to dual-boot with Windows (my desktop does have a dual-installation of Mint and Windows 10). Last week, HP announced a recall of batteries for a bunch of laptops. The catch is that not all batteries in those computers are being recalled. Rather than simply allowing you to enter your battery serial number (which is printed on the battery case) and have them decide if your battery is part of the recall, HP insists that I download and run a Windows executable which will read the battery's serial number and use that to decide if the battery needs to be recalled. Since I no longer have Windows on this computer, I'm stuck.

The laptop is out of warranty (barely), so they won't let me talk to a customer service person on the phone without paying up-front, which I don't want to do if there is a high chance I'll just be told "sorry, we can't help you." Right now, I am aware that I have at least four options:

1)Continue using the laptop anyways, taking the risk that it might explode.
2)Buy a new battery and replace it myself. HP charges $59 plus shipping for a new battery.
3)Buy a new Windows license, dual boot Windows, and use that to run HP's battery-checking executable. I don't think this is a good idea, since it costs more than just buying a new battery, and I have no other use for Windows.
4)Just buy a new computer, not from HP.

I looked to see if I had saved some sort of Windows product key from when I bought the computer. Unfortunately, I didn't, and I no longer have the box it came in. That's a mistake I'll be sure not to repeat again if I ever buy another computer with Windows pre-installed. Is there still a way I could restore Windows to this computer (without buying a new license)? Is there some other option I haven't thought of yet?
Last edited by 137ben on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thx-1138
Level 6
Level 6

Re: HP laptop battery recall and Mint

Post by thx-1138 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:15 pm

You can use a Windows 'Portable Enviroment' live cd / usb stick. Either Hiren's BootCD or Gandalf Win10 PE would certainly do the trick.
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
&
http://windowsmatters.com/category/windows-pes/
Seeing that their 'validation' app needs the whole .NET 4.6.2 to be installed, i'd probably start with the much newer Win10-based 'Gandalf' one...

....Or, another way, which is probably simpler & faster:
1) Install VirtualBox.
2) Get a free-trial pre-configured Win10 virtual machine straight from Microsoft:
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... tools/vms/

To keep it short:
1) You don't need to pay a single dime to HP's telephone customer service...
2) You don't need to buy a new Windows licence...
3) You certainly don't need to restore Windows in your computer...

However, since:
The laptop is out of warranty (barely)
That, i don't know. If it's out of warranty, it is quite likely the 'validation' might fail & that you won't be eligible for a replacement. Consult HP's site if such is the case...

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:21 pm

I would use some some google-fu and search for "battery failure hp" and add your battery serial number. I'll bet someone, somewhere, has the same battery and maybe theirs needed replacing. Another option is to see if you can get a cheaper battery on-line, not from HP. I know $60 is pretty reasonable for a laptop battery, but if you fear your current HP battery will start a fire, maybe you can get a third party battery for around the same price.

137ben
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 137ben » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:58 pm

thx-1138 wrote:....Or, another way, which is probably simpler & faster:
1) Install VirtualBox.
2) Get a free-trial pre-configured Win10 virtual machine straight from Microsoft:
https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... tools/vms/
Nice idea, although it didn't work: the battery utility must need direct hardware access in a way that VirtualBox won't give it (at least without further fiddling).

However, a coworker pointed out another solution: our department has a bunch of proprietary software that they let us install on our personal computers, and that includes Windows 10 Education Edition. I don't know why we have it, considering all of our office computers are running Ubuntu, but apparently we do. So, I got a Windows 10 ISO from work, and used that to dual boot Windows alongside Mint. After that I was able to run the batter checker, which said that my battery was fine and doesn't need to be recalled.

Return to “Hardware Support”