Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
AE2100A
Level 1
Level 1

Optical Drive Sporadic

Post by AE2100A » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:17 pm

I have two different optical drives on my Linux Mint 18.3 machine. One is blu-ray and one is dvd. At reboot, each will work as expected. For example, when a disc is loaded, it will be recognized. If k3b is used to burn a disc, it works. But, after some time (ie 1 or 2 hours) after reboot, neither optical drive will be recognized. K3b won't see the disc. No disc inserted into the drive will mount. This issue has been occurring for some time, from LM17.1 to LM17.2 to LM17.3 to LM18.1 to LM18.3.

Can anyone offer command line commands that I can use to attempt to reset the optical drives so that a reboot isn't necessary?

Mute Ant
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Optical Drive Sporadic

Post by Mute Ant » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:04 pm

The only problem I have had is with the drive's eject-button event failing to reach the kernel, so it thinks the disk is still in the drive. A sudo partprobe sometimes sorts that out, or a software eject -t && eject command to reinforce the message.

The standard tool for optical drives is sdparm. There's an overwhelming variety of SCSI commands "over 500 entries" and a web page to help...
http://sg.danny.cz/sg/sdparm.html
The skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is.

Return to “Hardware Support”