8000 processor wakeups, overheating problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chriscarlson127

8000 processor wakeups, overheating problem

Post by chriscarlson127 »

Currently running linux mint 18.3 cinnamon on a dell XPS 15 9560. I had some issues with the install because of ACPI problems viewtopic.php?f=46&t=260555&p=1407300&h ... e#p1407300, probably caused by the NVIDIA graphics card. Once I installed I noticed that the computer would overheat, that is the sensors would show temps above 80 degrees for the cpus, even when only running terminal. The system monitor does not indicate one specific program that could be causing this. I downloaded tlp but that did not solve the issue. Looking at the power stats I noticed that at times I am getting over 8000 wakeups
lm-pic.png
I have found this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/ ... _on_linux/ but it looks like there was not much luck here. Any pointers?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: 8000 processor wakeups, overheating problem

Post by trytip »

run in terminal sudo sensors-detect read the instructions and answer y
when done reboot and post the output of sensors
chriscarlson127

Post by chriscarlson127 »

I tried using the nouveau drivers instead of the NVIDIA driver for my graphics card and I also downloaded powertop which fixed the heating and interrrupt problem but then I get another issue. Mint freezes after I suspend.
I went back to the NVIDIA driver and attempted what you told me. Here is the output right after startup.
lmpic2.png
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

your laptop is fine it's not overheating now maybe air dust it a bit inside the vents. it's weird i don't see any fan temperatures. it may freeze in suspend if you don't have enough swap. is your swap partition or file larger than your total ram?
Thaddeus-maximus

Post by Thaddeus-maximus »

okay not to rain on anyone's parade here but are you running in a virtualbox? i ask because there's several things labeled as "Virtual"
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Thaddeus-maximus wrote:there's several things labeled as "Virtual"
Those messages are normal. :)
trytip wrote:i don't see any fan temperatures.
I too am surprised by the lack of fan speed readings.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Hardware Support”