Sudden system lag

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hgzr

Sudden system lag

Post by hgzr »

Recently, My pc started to go black screen and either lock up or keep going with the screen off. Everytime this happens restart is required. A few days ago, I lost cinnamon because of that so had to reinstall the package.

Now after a recent round of updates, it has become too slow and the system lags, the fans in the lap top work overtime as if playing a game even though I'm on the desktop screen. Videos play with lag.

I upgraded from the previous LTS a few months ago to 18.2 Sonya 32 bit. Has there been a package to cause this performance change in the updates? I'm using nvidia 304 driver, kernel is 3.13.

lshw output:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Sudden system lag

Post by Pjotr »

That lshw output is unreadable.... Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);
- make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;
- Copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
hgzr

Post by hgzr »

Code: Select all

Last edited by hgzr on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

1. Upgrade your kernel to 3.13.0-139;

2. Disable all visual effects in Cinnamon:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... n-Cinnamon
(item 7.1, right column)

3. Launch Driver Manager and install the closed non-free Nvidia driver it offers you.
hgzr

Post by hgzr »

In the update manager, the kernels sections doesn't offer 3.13.0-139. Will try to look for how to manually.

Did the second step now. Already installed 304 non free nvidia driver but will reinstall after the kernel upgrade. Hopefully will make a difference.

Thanks for the help. If you know a sure way to do the kernel upgrade easier than the CL option. Suggest please.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

hgzr wrote:In the update manager, the kernels sections doesn't offer 3.13.0-139.
It does. The order may be illogical, but it does.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Note that your CPU was at the above moment in time nearly 80C which is way too high. You're on legacy hardware which together with the fact that this started happening suddenly also means you won't be helped by a newer kernel. You desperately need to clean out your fans: your CPU is throttling back and/or eventually faulting due to overheating.

It appears that "Clevo" implies laptop? Sometimes harder than with a desktop but after cleaning fans and ventilation-openings in the case also consider removing the CPU and/or GPU coolers and renewing thermal paste. Of course -- if you recently started using the machine in bed with its ventilation openings blocked by blankets the easiest option would be to stop doing that...
hgzr

Post by hgzr »

Pjotr wrote:
hgzr wrote:In the update manager, the kernels sections doesn't offer 3.13.0-139.
It does. The order may be illogical, but it does.
Is there a command to refresh the kernel list? sudo apt-get update and upgrade are the ones I have tried. Most of the list consist of 4. kernel releases.

Also, for some reason, installing mate helped. In the mate desktop there isn't lag. And after log out, the lag stopped without kernel installation.

It seems turning off desktop compositing effects helped. Thank you.
rene wrote:Note that your CPU was at the above moment in time nearly 80C which is way too high. You're on legacy hardware which together with the fact that this started happening suddenly also means you won't be helped by a newer kernel. You desperately need to clean out your fans: your CPU is throttling back and/or eventually faulting due to overheating.

It appears that "Clevo" implies laptop? Sometimes harder than with a desktop but after cleaning fans and ventilation-openings in the case also consider removing the CPU and/or GPU coolers and renewing thermal paste. Of course -- if you recently started using the machine in bed with its ventilation openings blocked by blankets the easiest option would be to stop doing that...
Yeah, it's a laptop. I was going to give it to service for cleaning. But suddenly, the cpu started working more and it got hot easier. That's why I posted the topic. Thanks.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

You should in Update Manager check via (Menu) View -> Linux kernels (while noting as per above that -139 is helpfully listed before -20). But...

MATE taxes especially your GPU less and CPU a bit. I do suppose you weren't getting the "Cinnamon is running in software-rendering mode" on startup when this started happening? In that case the immediate problem may be a driver issue causing your CPU to do all the work, thereby overheating, thereby causing your problem in an immediate sense. In that case you should look into getting the GPU driver working again but really still only after cleaning the thing: also/even with software-rendering things shouldn't get to the point that your system malfunctions.

Certainly in any other case any mitigation you find is going to be just that, and a minimal one at that: you'd find that e.g. watching a video would cause the system to overheat again.
hgzr

Post by hgzr »

In the login screen there is cinnamon with software rendering option and I didn't use that.

Anyway, can't see the 139 in the kernels list, there is only the one I'm using and 4. releases.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I would suggest you first of all either clean the machine yourself -- if you check with Clevo or google on the specific type you may encounter a Service Manual spelling things out -- or "give it to service" as you mentioned.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

hgzr wrote:I upgraded from the previous LTS a few months ago to 18.2 Sonya 32 bit. Has there been a package to cause this performance change in the updates? I'm using nvidia 304 driver, kernel is 3.13.
Did you upgrade the system from Mint 17.3 using the mintupgrade tool (not fresh install of 18.2), where kernel 3.13 was used?

If you did, did you follow this tutorial?

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2316

That might explain why you only see the currently used 3.13 kernel and 4. only.
hgzr

Post by hgzr »

rene wrote:I would suggest you first of all either clean the machine yourself -- if you check with Clevo or google on the specific type you may encounter a Service Manual spelling things out -- or "give it to service" as you mentioned.
For this brand, it's recommended that repair service is used not cleaning it personally.
ClixTrix wrote:
hgzr wrote:I upgraded from the previous LTS a few months ago to 18.2 Sonya 32 bit. Has there been a package to cause this performance change in the updates? I'm using nvidia 304 driver, kernel is 3.13.
Did you upgrade the system from Mint 17.3 using the mintupgrade tool (not fresh install of 18.2), where kernel 3.13 was used?

If you did, did you follow this tutorial?

https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2316

That might explain why you only see the currently used 3.13 kernel and 4. only.
Yes, I did use the mintupgrade tool to upgrade to this version from the previous long term release mint.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

hgzr wrote:Yes, I did use the mintupgrade tool to upgrade to this version from the previous long term release mint.
OK, I would recommend upgrade to a Kernel series that operates around Mint 18.x. Try updating to Kernel 4.4.0-109.
hgzr

Post by hgzr »

I did install 4.4.0-109 but it doesn't show up in the boot.

Google says it could be about not updated grub and when I try to do that, it says unresolved dependencies with grub-common,grub-pc etc and to check repositories but the reps point to linux mint and ubuntu servers.

Recently, I did reinstall windows so the grub got screwed up, I installed easybcd to get to grub, just to note.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Are you using EasyBCD to operate using the Windows Boot Menu, i.e. you're not using/seeing the Grub Boot Menu?

The example of dual-boot with Win-Linux at EasyBCD suggests my asking that question to understand how you're operating.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/

If that's what you are doing, then it's an EasyBCD problem to operate with kernel updates/changes. Normally, that's done automatically with Grub.
hgzr

Post by hgzr »

Probably has to do with EasyBCD, will try to do something about that.

Return to “Hardware Support”