Dual booting Win 10 and Linuxmint 18.? 64 bit on laptop

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chuck5620

Dual booting Win 10 and Linuxmint 18.? 64 bit on laptop

Post by chuck5620 »

My laptop is literally falling apart and the windows have started to come up in fragments. I have a brand new WD 1T external drive which I want to back up my data to. Does the Back up Tool in Mint also handle the Win 10 files? Will I have to partition and format the external first
Chuck
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: Dual booting Win 10 and Linuxmint 18.? 64 bit on laptop

Post by Mattyboy »

You can point the linux back up tool to personal files/folders stored on your windows drive.. it'll just make a tar file ( zip ). Probably a better way would be to just 'zip' the folders and place them on your back up drive.

If you're transferring files using Linux from your windows partition then you have the option to format your drive in ext4 but remember only Linux can read this format so you wont be able to access anything from a Windows machine. If you format in NTFS then you'll be able to access your files from 'any computer'.

Yeah you'll need to format your external drive, partitioning is up to you, before you can move files but most drives come 'from the factory' already formatted to NTFS anyway.

If you choose to format to Linux ext4 you'll have to use the chown command to gain permission to use it as ext4 is owned by root as default.
Last edited by Mattyboy on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chuck5620

Re: Dual booting Win 10 and Linuxmint 18.? 64 bit on laptop

Post by chuck5620 »

Thanks for the quick reply - it is very helpful!
Chuck

Return to “Hardware Support”