Mint on Intel Cherry Trail

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kdougherty67

Mint on Intel Cherry Trail

Post by kdougherty67 »

Hi there

I apologize right off the bat for being completely green. I recently bought a mini PC pre loaded with Windows 10. When discovering that it was a bit sluggish, I decided to give Linux a try for the first time, for a lighter weight OS, as I have been wanting to give it a go for a while.

I ended up picking Mint as it seemed to be an easy distro to start off with.

Everything installed smoothly and I love the OS. However I have an issue with sound. After lots of reading I have come to find that the Intel Cherry Trail chip is the issue and has been for some time.

I guess my question is, should I bail on this and go back to windows or do I have some options.

Intel Cherry Trai/lIntel Atom x5-Z8350 Dual Output 4K
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Mint on Intel Cherry Trail

Post by Moem »

kdougherty67 wrote:I apologize right off the bat for being completely green.
S'okay. We like that colour here. :mrgreen:

As for your sound issues, are you running the pre-installed kernel? If not, try updating to the latest kernel in the 4.4 or 4.13 series (which are also patched for Meltdown) and see if that helps any.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kdougherty67

Post by kdougherty67 »

Haha glad my kind is accepted here.

As for the kernel I was running the pre-installed version. However I did read in other posts that updating this may fix my problems. I used ukuu to attempt this and my device seemed to freeze at the "unpacking" stage. I actually left it running and is still running to see if it got past this part.

I'm not with the machine right now so I haven't been able to check if it ever completed. I just thought in the meantime I would post on here to get any other ideas in case that didn't work.

I will update as soon as I can in regards to the kernel update.
kdougherty67

Post by kdougherty67 »

Now that I read your post a little closer. I just picked the latest release in ukuu. Which I don't think was 4.4 or 4.13 series. Ugh.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Yeah, you're better off picking a kernel from the Update Manager; that way, you will know that it's meant to be used on Mint, at least. If you use an external tool, you won't know that. You'll find them in the View menu under Linux Kernel.
Honestly, Mint has so many good tools, it's usually best to use one of those as your first option.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kdougherty67

Post by kdougherty67 »

Thanks for the reply. So I can use update manager to install a kernel ?

Just going by memory last night it seemed like more of an autoupdate and no options to select a specific version.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Yes you can. Like I tried to explain:
- Open the View menu.
- Choose the entry called Linux Kernels.

That'll get you to a list of installable kernels. If you select one, you should see the option to Install (or Remove, if already installed and not currently in use).

kdougherty67

Post by kdougherty67 »

My bad. I failed to see that note. :lol:

It's Friday and my brain isn't working properly.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ kdougherty67, .......
kdougherty67 wrote:...
For the Sound issue, you will likely need to buy a USB Sound adapter for less than US$10. ... https://liliputing.com/2016/02/running- ... stems.html (Running Ubuntu on a Cherry Trail Intel Compute Stick )
bbaker6212
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bbaker6212 »

kdougherty67 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:44 am Hi there

I apologize right off the bat for being completely green. I recently bought a mini PC pre loaded with Windows 10. When discovering that it was a bit sluggish, I decided to give Linux a try for the first time, for a lighter weight OS, as I have been wanting to give it a go for a while.

I ended up picking Mint as it seemed to be an easy distro to start off with.

Everything installed smoothly and I love the OS. However I have an issue with sound. After lots of reading I have come to find that the Intel Cherry Trail chip is the issue and has been for some time.

I guess my question is, should I bail on this and go back to windows or do I have some options.

Intel Cherry Trai/lIntel Atom x5-Z8350 Dual Output 4K
I think your best bet to get everything working on your Atom device is to use Linuxium's ISO respin of Ubuntu - or you can respin the Mint release if you want Mint.
http://linuxiumcomau.blogspot.com/2018/ ... osmic.html
Linux Mint XFCE 21.1 , Windows 11, Pop!_OS 22.04 Acer Aspire 5 A515-57 (linux-probe), Core i5-1235U, 16GB RAM
Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15IKB (linux-probe), Core i5-8250U, 20GB RAM

Return to “Hardware Support”