Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rdanner3
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Attempting to update kernel

Post by rdanner3 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:53 pm

Okay, this set of errors seems a bit off. How to correct?
This was sent by MintUpdate, BTW...

Code: Select all

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-headers-4.13.0-32_4.13.0-32.35~16.04.1_all.deb: unable to open '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.13.0-32/drivers/iio/magnetometer/Makefile.dpkg-new': Operation not permitted
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-extra-4.13.0-32-generic_4.13.0-32.35~16.04.1_amd64.deb: unable to open '/lib/modules/4.13.0-32-generic/kernel/drivers/phy/broadcom/phy-bcm-kona-usb2.ko.dpkg-new': Operation not permitted
Failing properly installing this, is there a way to have Linux Mint cease attempting to install this? It's interfering in installing other updates.
Last edited by rdanner3 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005 on LM18.3 x64 (MATE/LXDE).
Linux dabbler since 1996. Registered Linux User #547455
Serious Linux user since Linux Mint 9 (also x64).

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Attempting to update kernel

Post by minitux » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:27 pm

rdanner3
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rdanner3 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:38 pm

minitux wrote:have you some antivirus ?

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost5764344
Found and uninstalled Sophos Anti-virus and FProt anti-virus. Now, out of the blue, my root partition is showing errors. First Mate would not load, now LXDE (my backup shell) won't. Both complain that disk space is non-existent, but no partition is below 4% remaining. Maybe time to run SpinRite against the drive to see if that will correct anything, but it could take several hours (to a day or so) to complete the process. Very puzzled about what is going on.

UPDATE: SpinRite found no problems, so the hardware is not the problem. Which is good. What's bad is that somehow, the root partition (sda5 in my case) is totally full. APT's cache is essentially empty (less than 100k) so isn't the problem. Where in the root partition should I look for deletable files? Would post more info, but root is so full the commands fail. Posting from my cell phone.

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:12 pm

I would re-install the OS, select the advanced option and choose not to format home.... and maybe just not use antivirus software in Linux, it doesn't need it and evidently it'll mess up your system.

Unless anyone else has a better suggestion.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:55 am

Mattyboy wrote:I would re-install the OS, select the advanced option and choose not to format home.... and maybe just not use antivirus software in Linux, it doesn't need it and evidently it'll mess up your system.

Unless anyone else has a better suggestion.
Fine suggestion. Note that antivirus actually decreases your security in desktop Linux:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security

Installing a normal application, any normal application, increases your attack surface. Installing antivirus increases your attack surface dramatically. Don't do it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

rdanner3
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rdanner3 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:42 pm

I believe that I have figured out what caused the root partition to get full. Apparently, a program created a very large file (for whatever purpose) but crashed before being able to delete it. It is a bit ironic that the suggestion to reinstall the OS has likely pointed out the real cause of the problem. I have actually seen this very issue before (on /home), but it was because a free-space scrubber had crashed shortly after creating the file it used to do the wipe of free space, but before it killed the file. Correctable once I get a live-DVD burned (from a copy of LM18.0's ISO my assistant has on her machine), and without a reinstall. Could solve the problem right now if I could find my SARDU flash drive (since it has three live-DVD images on it), but I think one of my clients accidentally took it from my shop, thinking it was theirs. LOL Teaches me to label my flash drives!

While I do use Bleachbit, it's solely for secure deletion of junk files; I know better than to use the experimental tools! Not marking Solved until I have actually corrected the problem by one way or the other. Really don't care for making these kinds of mistakes, but if someone else learns from it, all the better.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:58 pm

rdanner3 wrote:I believe that I have figured out what caused the root partition to get full. Apparently, a program created a very large file (for whatever purpose) but crashed before being able to delete it. It is a bit ironic that the suggestion to reinstall the OS has likely pointed out the real cause of the problem. I have actually seen this very issue before (on /home), but it was because a free-space scrubber had crashed shortly after creating the file it used to do the wipe of free space, but before it killed the file. Correctable once I get a live-DVD burned (from a copy of LM18.0's ISO my assistant has on her machine), and without a reinstall. Could solve the problem right now if I could find my SARDU flash drive (since it has three live-DVD images on it), but I think one of my clients accidentally took it from my shop, thinking it was theirs. LOL Teaches me to label my flash drives!

While I do use Bleachbit, it's solely for secure deletion of junk files; I know better than to use the experimental tools! Not marking Solved until I have actually corrected the problem by one way or the other. Really don't care for making these kinds of mistakes, but if someone else learns from it, all the better.
Don't use BleachBit, it's a software wrecking ball:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... plications
(item 4, left column)

Only clean safely, like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/4
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

rdanner3
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rdanner3 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:43 pm

Marking "Solved"! Turns out I was both right... and wrong. The file doodle.db had reached an astonishing 2.6Gb! After killing it and two directories left over from old versions of Libre Office (4.4 and 5.1) once I confirmed the files were redundant, the machine is running once more. Figuring out what caused doodle.db to get that huge might be worthwhile, but just glad I got the machine working properly again.

Return to “Hardware Support”