New scanner not recognised [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ClixTrix

Re: New scanner not recognised

Post by ClixTrix »

OK....that looks like an odd gnome-type error on the first command. Try this and see if the editor pops up with the imagescan.conf file. Note, I'm using sudo in place of gksudo. If the editor doesn't appear, stop and post back the results.

Code: Select all

sudo xed /etc/imagescan/imagescan.conf
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

Here it is
**********-X550CA ~ $ sudo xed /etc/imagescan/imagescan.conf
[sudo] password for*******:
sudo: xed: command not found
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice. LM Cinnamon 19.3 on HP Pavillion 64bit, 256GB SSD, Intel i3 core
plus LM 20 Ulyana on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I just realize you're using KDE. No wonder I'm giving you bogus commands. Chalk that up to not enough coffee yet this AM.

I think the default editor in KDE is kate. It's been awhile, as I don't use KDE.

If you go to Terminal and type in kate, does the editor pop-up? If that works, we need to replace xed with kate in that first command.

Edit: Unfortunately, gone for the remainder of the day. The substitute for step 1 in Terminal, if kate works for your install of KDE, is:

sudo kate /etc/imagescan/imagescan.conf
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

Hi ClixTrix,
I was also coming to the same conclusion, that our computers were not both singing from the same hymn sheet.
Selected Kate App. Have changed command words to your instructed in Terminal. Still problematical though, terminal reports:-
[sudo] password for *****:
Config timer connecting...
Setting the name of 0x1c5be10 to "org.kde.ActivityManager.Resources.Scoring"
Creating directory: "/home/*****/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd/resources/"
KActivities: Database connection: "kactivities_db_resources_139776972896448_readwrite"
query_only: QVariant(qlonglong, 0)
journal_mode: QVariant(QString, "wal")
wal_autocheckpoint: QVariant(qlonglong, 100)
synchronous: QVariant(qlonglong, 1)
Setting the name of 0x1c60480 to "org.kde.ActivityManager.ActivityTemplates"
Setting the name of 0x1cb4bf0 to "org.kde.ActivityManager.RunApplication"
Service started, version: 7.0.0
Cleaning up...
net.udi = networkscan:esci://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1865 (IP address etc as appropriate)
net.vendor = Epson
net.model = XP-342
********-X550CA ~ $ net.udi = networkscan:esci://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1865 (IP address etc as appropriate)
net.udi: command not found

Silver Surfer.
P.S. don't know what the above down as far as "Cleaning up" is all about. I assume I still use terminal for entering commands, or is it in the "Kate" Editor. Never opened this app before!
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice. LM Cinnamon 19.3 on HP Pavillion 64bit, 256GB SSD, Intel i3 core
plus LM 20 Ulyana on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Yeah, I generally run Cinnamon, which is why I was using the wrong editor. I spotted KDE in your sig, and that woke me up quick. I've used/tested most all the flavors of Mint over the years, and I'm hoping I remember kate is the editor and it's currently bundled.

The new code is added to the imagescan.conf file opened with the kate editor. Since it's a system file, it's necessary to run the editor with elevated privileges. That's why the use of sudo on the command.

That output looks wrong though.

OK...let's try the following to bring up the editor.

kdesudo kate /etc/imagescan/imagescan.conf
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

I copied your command into "Kate Editor" app.and pressed enter. Nothing happens!!
What is this Kate editor? and what does it do, or What am I supposed to do with it?
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

Ah just copied same instruction in Terminal and get this, in what I assume is Kate Editor but Terminal comes up with "kdesudo kate /etc/imagescan/imagescan.conf
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/anthony/.config/ibus/bus
Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon

Kate Editor comes up with :-
# /etc/imagescan/imagescan.conf -- Image Scan configuration
# Refer to the documentation for details on the configuration options
# for the software. Plugins should come with their own documentation
# if they have configuration options.
#
# Lines starting with a # or a ; are comments. Comments must be on a
# line of their own. End-of-line comments are not supported.

[devices]

; myscanner.udi = esci:networkscan://xxx.xxx.x.xx:1865
; myscanner.vendor = Epson
; myscanner.model = DS-5500
net.udi = networkscan:esci://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1865
net.vendor = Epson
net.model = XP-342
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

The command to run the kate editor is done from Terminal. It's to launch the editor with elevated privileges and it's specifically being used in this case to edit the imagescan.conf file, per the step-by-step post. I'm bringing those steps to this post with change to editor to use kate. I'm not sure where you are, given the last post.

1) Run the following command from terminal. That will require password entry. You are launching the editor on the imagescan.conf file.

kdesudo kate /etc/imagescan/imagescan.conf
2) Copy and paste the following code section to to the bottom of the imagescan.conf file.

net.udi    = networkscan:esci://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1865
net.vendor = Epson
net.model  = XP-342
3) The IP address for your printer replaces the xxx.xxx.xxx in that new code section. Locate and replace with your IP.

4) Save and Exit editor and Exit Terminal

5) Reboot System

6) Launch ImageScan -- The Printer should now show in the Drop-Down list at the top of the ImageScan window.

As an example of what the imagescan.conf file looks like after the change. Here's mine for my Epson WF-2760. Hopefully, this example helps clarify what you need. The added code is in RED. If the commented lines with ; or # are a little different in your file, that shouldn't matter.

# /etc/imagescan/imagescan.conf -- Image Scan configuration
# Refer to the documentation for details on the configuration options
# for the software. Plugins should come with their own documentation
# if they have configuration options.
#
# Lines starting with a # or a ; are comments. Comments must be on a
# line of their own. End-of-line comments are not supported.

[devices]

; myscanner.udi = esci:networkscan://192.168.0.2:1865
; myscanner.vendor = Epson
; myscanner.model = DS-5500

net.udi = networkscan:esci://192.168.2.101:1865
net.vendor = Epson
net.model = WF-2760
timapple

Post by timapple »

Lanser wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:52 am Or you could install VueScan. Never had any new scanner install issues and the interface has many more professional options.

http://www.hamrick.com/

Lanser
I can second VueScan.. I purchased it many years ago due to frustration..it works out of the box with every scanner i've encountered and has a better dialog. It is pay for, but it's one time and get updates forever.

Tim
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

OK! Now got Epson printer recognised in "Image scan"
However, It's lunchtime here in UK. Wife rattling plates ominously!
Will have a play with latest development after lunch and report back later.
Guess you must have started early there in the "Exited States"
Thx for now.
Silver Surfer
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Silver Surfer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:59 am OK! Now got Epson printer recognised in "Image scan"
Terrific!
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

Hi ClixTrix,

Oh Dear,
Got all excited over lunch, thought we’d cracked it,
Ran “Imagescan”, Printer was recognised, but “Imagescan” reported “Could not make connection to xxx.xxx.x.xx:Port number”
Logged in to my Router, gave Epson printer specific access to that IP address.
Ah Well! Back to the drawing board!
Although I’m available all afternoon I don’t want to take up your Sunday, so if you want to give it a break and perhaps further thought, so be it.
Sent you a private email………

Silver Surfer
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Silver Surfer wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:09 pm Ran “Imagescan”, Printer was recognised, but “Imagescan” reported “Could not make connection to xxx.xxx.x.xx:Port number”
Does the IP adress:Port number in the message you've quoted exactly match the IP for the printer, and the port number is normally 1865. The added code should mimic mine with the obvious differences of your printer model and IP address. I assume the printer/scanner was powered-on when you got the error.

net.udi = networkscan:esci://192.168.2.101:1865
net.vendor = Epson
net.model = WF-2760

Sorry, gone yesterday after my last post. Here for a few hours this morning. Every printer and system has some customization differences for scanner, which is why they can be a little difficult. I'm fine with continuing to assist. I'm going to walk back through my notes on those (mine/others) I've installed to see if there is more. I would like you to run the following command from Terminal to see if your system can see the Printer/Scanner on the network. Note, use your IP address in place of the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the command. This is an old network command called PING.

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
The command will repeat until halted with {Ctrl}-c from keyboard.

The output should look similar to this.

danno@Lian-Li ~ $ ping 192.168.2.101
PING 192.168.2.101 (192.168.2.101) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.2.101: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=7.79 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.101: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=3.90 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.101: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=2.18 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.101: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.532 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.101: icmp_seq=5 ttl=64 time=0.528 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.2.101: icmp_seq=6 ttl=64 time=0.540 ms
^C
--- 192.168.2.101 ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 5037ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.528/2.581/7.798/2.637 ms
danno@Lian-Li ~ $ 
Edit: I remembered a bug from one prior assist in the Forum that might be relevent.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=256045&p=1380857

If you have the Mint Firewall enabled, disable and reboot the system for a test.
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

Yes! responds continuously, with different time readouts with ***.***.*10 Supposed printer IP address.
But....... When port number is added to end ie ***.***.*.10:1865 there is no response

Digressing, I switched on my old Acer 5920G laptop which I recently converted to KDE Linuxmint 18.1 32bit. Opening "Skanlite" it scanned perfectly OK. This computer has had no extra software as I remember added to it from install. It seems from that my Asus may have got corrupted somewhere along the line.
Silver Surfer
Last edited by Silver Surfer on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Destination Host Unreachable implies your system is isolated by firewall or other connection from the printer, so it can't route to it. It also can happen if the printer is turned OFF. It could also be a problem with the main home/office router not resolving, i.e. is the router on the same IP subnet. Are you using DHCP to get the IP address from the Router for the problem system and the Epson? That would be in your system Network Settings and how the Epson was configured from its panel.

The ping command changing the address is a real problem. That should not happen. I'm trying to figure out why ping would do that. That address change by ping would also explain the unreachable.

Edit: Gone for the day.
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

Think I confused the situation, by updating the post I had already posted realizing the printer was switched off when I did the ping test, which you must have read before I changed it to below:-
Please read post timed Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:41 pm.
Sorry!
Silver Surfer
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

Right!
Change of situation since last post.
On Asus X550C, Scan can now be achieved by opening Skanlite, and a scan will be performed and can be saved if required. When opening Skanlite there is also an option to use either Skanlite or “Epson Imagescan”
See image.
Choosing Epson imagescan option doesn’t work.
Would very much like to be able to choose this option because I believe it offers OCR and other features as well.
Silver Surfer
]
Screenshot_20180213_105122.jpg
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Have you tried disabling the Mint Firewall, rebooting the system, and testing ImageScan. If that works, it might be the SYN Cookie problem I remember and posted link to in Forum.
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

Think we may have found the problem:-
With Firewall turned OFF "Imagescan" works. With Firewall turned on "Cannot Connect to Epson" is reported.
So it's the Firewall doing it's job. I've never created rules for Firewall. How do I go about it, how to write the exception rule.
Silver Surfer

-
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Did you do this?
ClixTrix wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:23 am 2) Copy and paste the following code section to to the bottom of the imagescan.conf file.

net.udi    = networkscan:esci://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1865
net.vendor = Epson
net.model  = XP-342
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Hardware Support”