New scanner not recognised [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New scanner not recognised

Post by Silver Surfer »

Sorry austin.texas, but I'm very much a Linux novice. How/Where do I obtain this file to to check or modify.
Silver Surfer
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice. LM Cinnamon 19.3 on HP Pavillion 64bit, 256GB SSD, Intel i3 core
plus LM 20 Ulyana on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Silver Surfer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:06 am Think we may have found the problem:-
With Firewall turned OFF "Imagescan" works. With Firewall turned on "Cannot Connect to Epson" is reported.
So it's the Firewall doing it's job. I've never created rules for Firewall. How do I go about it, how to write the exception rule.
Silver Surfer

-
That's sounds precisely like the SYN Cookie problem with UFW. AFAIK, it hasn't been patched in Xenial/Mint 18.3. Here's how to fix it. OK...going to use kate again to edit a system file.....similar to edit we did on the imagescan.conf file. Here's a step by step.

1) We need to edit /etc/ufw/sysctl.conf by running kate with elevated privileges (kdesudo) in Terminal. Launch Terminal and run the following command.

Code: Select all

kdesudo kate /etc/ufw/sysctl.conf
2) Need to locate the following line of code in the file and comment the line by placing a # at the beginning.

net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies=0

to:
#net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies=0

3) Save and Exit kate

4) Re-enable the Firewall / UFW

5) Reboot the system and test
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New scanner not recognised [SOLVED}

Post by Silver Surfer »

Hi ClixTrix,

We did it!
Followed your code and Epson Printer is now allowed through Firewall, and I can now scan anything.
I am so grateful for your expertise, as well as the amount of time you have spent on solving this problem for me.
Us Linux Novices are indebted to such “Forum Gurus”

Thx again,

Silver Surfer
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice. LM Cinnamon 19.3 on HP Pavillion 64bit, 256GB SSD, Intel i3 core
plus LM 20 Ulyana on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Very glad I could assist. You're welcome and have a good one.

Return to “Hardware Support”