Slow mouse scrolling speed

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phil_n

Slow mouse scrolling speed

Post by phil_n »

I am using LM Cinamon 3.6.6 and try to increase the scrolling speed of my mouse (using the scroll wheel). But there seems to be no option in System settings -> Hardware -> Mouse and Touchpad to increase the scroll speed. I have my mouse acceleration set to maximum, which gives me a descent speed moving the mouse pointer. But when I scroll down a web page, usig the scroll wheel of the mouse it takes ages to scroll down the page.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dany96

Re: Slow mouse scrolling speed

Post by Dany96 »

phil_n

Post by phil_n »

The last post under

https://askubuntu.com/questions/255890/ ... roll-speed

works. But only for one session. As soon as I reboot I have to do the manual procedure again.

I am very surprised that there is no alternative in native LM 18.3 Cinnamon to set the scrolling speed of the mouse. It should be subject to an update fix.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

phil_n wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:58 am But when I scroll down a web page, using the scroll wheel of the mouse it takes ages to scroll down the page.
If you're using Firefox then type this in the address bar

about:config

Then click that you accept the risk of changing the settings , then search for this setting by pasting it in the search bar at the top.

mousewheel.min_line_scroll_amount

Then click it to change the value to a higher one like 100.
phil_n

Post by phil_n »

Will that change the mouse scroll speed permanently for all applications, not just Firefox?
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

It will only change firefox as you said web pages?
I have my mouse acceleration set to maximum, which gives me a descent speed moving the mouse pointer. But when I scroll down a web page, usig the scroll wheel of the mouse it takes ages to scroll down the page.
drpeppercan

Post by drpeppercan »

For the sake of closure, can someone confirm whether the solution given was ONLY for Firefox, or all apps?
Update: I just tried it. It only works for Firefox (which I only use for Netflix).

Is there no solution to this then? (for all apps)

Thanks
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

drpeppercan wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:40 am For the sake of closure, can someone confirm whether the solution given was ONLY for Firefox, or all apps?
Update: I just tried it. It only works for Firefox (which I only use for Netflix).

Is there no solution to this then? (for all apps)

Thanks
Search for imwheel. On my Acer netbook it worked (Mint Mate 18.3 / Microsoft Wireless Mouse)
drpeppercan

[SOLVED] Re: Slow mouse scrolling speed

Post by drpeppercan »

A.F.
I found it with Synaptic, and installed it. But I cannot find it. Maybe I need to log off and log in again...

I actually found a web page showing how to install it.
Got it working now!
Last edited by drpeppercan on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

You'll find it in the Startup Applications. I installed it three years ago, together with the system - I don't remember if logging out was enough, I had a lot of reboots to do at that time.
drpeppercan

Post by drpeppercan »

It's worth noting that it's not enough to install it. You have to also create and modify a file. It's all explained here.

Thank you A.F.

P.S. You may want to mark this thread as [SOLVED] ...

Return to “Hardware Support”