Before you post please read how to get help
mikecolley
Level 2
Level 2

[Fails] Want new video driver on old Cinnamon 17.2

Post by mikecolley » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:16 am

Hi Clem and All:

Quick Description of Request:
How can I get new video driver XSERVER-XORG-VIDEO-NOUVEAU Version 1:1.0.12-1build2 on my old Cinnamon 17.2 system?

Can someone point me at a how-to or describe how to do it?

Background / Details:
My Cinnamon 17.2 doesn't upgrade for whatever reason, it is a live system created with LILO (Live Linux) about mint version 14 or before. I haven't figured how to upgrade it because upgrading it breaks it and I haven't figured how to fix the break. Besides, Cinnamon 17.2 works just fine for me(, why upgrade?). Someday I will have to create a new system with all the add-ons that I have on my old 17.2 system, but for now the old system it is working just fine on my core-2-duo laptop HP 8730W.

So I thought I would upgrade to a much faster system, I bought an e-bay Dell XPS 8900 desktop (it is fast!!!), but my old Cinnamon 17.2 system using video driver XSERVER-XORG-VIDEO-NOUVEAU Version 1:1.0.10-1ubuntu2 doesn't work on my new Dell PC. However I find the live Cinnamon 18.3 CD works just fine on both my new Dell PC and my old HP laptop.

So I guess maybe the problem is the video driver, I will try to put the new Cinnamon 18.3 driver on the old Cinnamon 17.2 system and see if it works. Problem: I don't know how to do that. The new Cinnamon 18.3 driver XSERVER-XORG-VIDEO-NOUVEAU Version 1:1.0.12-1build2 doesn't appear in my Cinnamon 17.2 list of drivers, it just isn't there as a choice so I can't choose it and I don't know how to add it to the menu. This old Cinnamon 17.2 is on a 256GB Sandisk USB 3.0 flash drive and I am able to run it on about any PC I plug it into, except my new Dell PC. I love that portability!!! Any PC I plug the USB flash drive into, it just works like the original(except the Dell). USB 3 Flash is fast.

Request: How can I get the new video driver XSERVER-XORG-VIDEO-NOUVEAU Version 1:1.0.12-1build2 on to the old Cinnamon 17.2 system that serves me so well? Is there a how-to somewhere(?) or can someone tell me how to do it?

Joke: Just a thought, we need to get Debian (or Ubuntu) to change their name to Toast... so we could have Cinnamon Toast..... oh, sorry, I shouldn't have done that, couldn't help myself...

Thank You Clem many times over, and Thank You all for your help! - Mike Colley
Last edited by mikecolley on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Want new video driver on old Cinnamon 17.2

Post by Hoser Rob » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:00 am

If you look here ...

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xs ... eo-nouveau

... the package you want is supported in Xenial and not in Trusty, which is what your 17.3 is based upon. Which means that the newer one is probably going to break your 17.3.

Mint 18.x is based on Xenial so installing 18.x is the obvious choice.

Many noobs seem to be entranced by this idea that "you can do anything you want in Linux". That's only true in that if you have the right password Linux will let you do it. It in no way implies that it''ll actually work.

mikecolley
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Want new video driver on old Cinnamon 17.2

Post by mikecolley » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:16 pm

Thank You Hoser Rob, this is exactly the answer and the driver I was looking for.

Now I have to take one of my live backups and modify it to see if I break it(I keep 3 backups). I have other things to do too so this might take me a while to accomplish. I expect to report back if I have success or failure.

If this fails I have a backup plan of starting a new Cinnamon 18.3 production system and make all the customizations to it, so I do have a backup plan.

The answer is perfect, I will give it a shot, it will take me a little while,

Thank You! - Mike Colley

mikecolley
Level 2
Level 2

[Fails] Re: Want new video driver on old Cinnamon 17.2

Post by mikecolley » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:14 pm

Thank You Hoser Rob

I loaded (dpkg and gdebi) the newer XSERVER-XORG-VIDEO-NOUVEAU Version 1:1.0.12-1build2 on my old Cinnamon 17.2 and it reverted to "Software Rendering Mode". Message said something like the dependencies were not possible to resolve. Oh well, sometimes wrong version drivers work, sometimes they don't and in this case the 1.0.12... didn't work. I also tried the 1.0.15... and it went to "Software Rendering Mode" also. The drivers actually loaded!!! But they didn't work.

I now have the answer I needed, that replacing the video driver won't work, that I have to create a new Cinnamon 18.3 system from scratch. This works for me, it just isn't as convenient.

Hoser Rob I want to thank you for your help - Mike Colley

Return to “Hardware Support”