Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wpshooter
Level 4
Level 4

Hard drive failing Smartdata & Self Test

Post by wpshooter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 am

Have a computer which the hard drive is failing Smartdata & Self Test on
EVERY instance that I run it. Both short version and the extended version.

Is there any possibility that this hard drive can still be safely/reliably used OR
is failing of the Smartdata & Self Test a FIRM warning that the hard drive should
no longer be used ?

The computer is primarily used for Internet surfing and is not used to store any
important/critical data.

Thanks.

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Hard drive failing Smartdata & Self Test

Post by WharfRat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 am

Since there's nothing important being stored on it then continuing to use it until it crashes and burns is of no consequence to you.
Image ImageImage

ClixTrix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ClixTrix » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:47 am

It depends on the failure. Can you take a Screenshot (Menu - Accessories) of the SMART Data & Self-Tests window for the drive and post it back.
Linux Mint 18.3 x64 Cinnamon Kernel 4.14.20 Mainline (Ukuu)
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-D3H (F5a) / Ryzen 5 1600 / Micron Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 2x8GB / XFX HD5450-1GB
NVMe-SSD Samsung EVO 960 250GB / HDD WD1600BEKT 160GB / SSD Toshiba OCZ VX500 512GB

Pierre
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Pierre » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:59 am

typically, any Smartdata & Self Test Failure, would indicate that an HDD failure is imminent,
so, it would pay to stop using that HDD, and to not place anything of importance onto it.

there is also nothing to stop you from using the machine,
until such time, that the Failure does go Permanent.
:)
if you wish to do so, that is.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Charlie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Charlie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:04 am

I have recently changed mine as it was causing corrupted files. I couldn't boot into it and had to use the Grub menu at every boot. It wasn't a major fail either, it just said that temperature had been exceeded in the past. On my laptop this was a cheap repair and I have a few spares laying around, I bought a few second hand for next to nothing really. Really pleased I swapped it out. Easy job on a Thinkpad..

Mute Ant
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Mute Ant » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:46 am

"Failing of the SMART Self Test is a warning that the hard drive should no longer be used" Yes. Or that the environment it is running in is sub-standard. SMART errors can be caused and recorded because the power-supply-unit or the mains electricity supply are defective.

SMART is strictly internal to the drive in question. Only the closed-source-and-immutable drive firmware can record or un-record the data. If it reports 'fail' it will do so every time you run SMART from then on, but it won't force you to stop writing to it. SSD and USB flash will take that decision for you, they switch to read-only to preserve the last-written data because they just can't write anything new.

External signs of hard-disk failure would include...
o Click of death. Random 'clonk' noises as the head-actuator literally loses track and smacks the end-stop.
o Hot, because the bearings are worn out or dried out.
o Slow. Multiple attempts to read badly-recorded data.
The skills you need to produce a correct answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize a correct answer. The earth rotates 366.25 times about its own axis during a single year. Bananas are berries. The sun is a black body.

Return to “Hardware Support”