[SOLVED] Trackpoint stops working

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

[SOLVED] Trackpoint stops working

Post by Moem »

This morning my Thinkpad had a fan error which resulted in pretty high temperatures until it shut down. When I rebooted it afterwards, all was fine until I'd started up an application; then the mouse froze. This turns out to be reproducible. It happens every time and with different applications.
I can use the laptop with an external mouse and I even found that the touchpad works, once I turned it on. I'm not used to mice and touchpads at all so I want my trackpoint back! Any pointers to where I should start my troubleshooting will be appreciated.

Code: Select all

moem@moem-ThinkPad-X201 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: moem-ThinkPad-X201 Kernel: 4.13.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: LENOVO (portable) product: 36805B8 v: ThinkPad X201
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 36805B8
           Bios: LENOVO v: 6QET61WW (1.31 ) date: 10/26/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5 M 560 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10640
           clock speeds: max: 2667 MHz 1: 1199 MHz 2: 1333 MHz 3: 1199 MHz
           4: 1333 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x800@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 17.2.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-32-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 1820 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: enp0s25 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200
           driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 240.1GB (51.0% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: INTEL_SSDSC2BW24 size: 240.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 31G used: 9.1G (31%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: /home size: 157G used: 102G (68%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.08GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda7
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0C mobo: 0.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 3395
Info:      Processes: 208 Uptime: 6 min Memory: 1663.8/7773.4MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Trackpoint stops working

Post by Moem »

What the fluff! I just found out that the trackpoint is not fully inoperational: it's not working otherwise, but it scrolls vertically and horizontally like nobody's business. Seems like there's a setting messed up somewhere, but where?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moem wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:03 am ...my Thinkpad had a fan error which resulted in pretty high temperatures until it shut down. When I rebooted it afterwards, all was fine until I'd started up an application; then the mouse froze.
Moem wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:14 am Seems like there's a setting messed up somewhere, but where?
It's more than likely synchronicity. If it were my machine I'd be looking for a hardware failure first. Try a live session.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hardware could well be... it's now intermittently working as normal, and not-working-but-scrolling. I think I'll switch it off completely and give the keyboard a good clean. I have a feeling something is stuck under a key and triggering some kind of scrolling option in combination with leftclick.

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

The trackpoint proceeded to fix itself over the course of the day, so it does seem like there was some crud stuck under a key. Because it's almost spring, and because I'm worth it (or maybe I've seen too many ads?) I gave it the full Moem's Certified Thinkpad Cleaning Procedure* today. That goes as follows:
  • Shut down laptop
  • Use compressed air to clean keyboard. Be persistent especially if you have cats.
  • Also spray the air gently into USB and ethernet ports and you'll see a nice puff of dust emerge.
  • Then spray the screen and keyboard SPARINGLY with a thin mist of glass cleaner. DO NOT SOAK. It may be a Thinkpad but it's still a computer.
  • Proceed to clean between the keys, and any other nooks and crannies, with cotton buds.
  • Then clean the screen with a soft dry cloth, and finally wipe your greasy mitts off the keyboard with that same cloth. Like new! :mrgreen:
* Guaranteed to be free of BleachBit.

Return to “Hardware Support”