Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
xStealth
Level 1
Level 1

Horrible Performance - Mint 18.3 Xfce

Post by xStealth » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:05 am

Hello all~

I have an HP Stream 14 with the Intel N3060 and 4GB RAM. Previously I'd been running Windows 10, with some pretty outstanding performance for those specs, but a recent forced update screwed the pooch and made it completely unusable. Anyway, since I mainly just use it for web browsing, YouTube, some Word Processing, and a bit of Netflix, I figured this might be a good time to get my feet wet with Linux.

Thing to note: I'm running Mint 18.3 Xfce which is installed on a USB 3.0 flash drive, 32GB.
Second thing to note: I was getting better Mint performance from the "live" installer desktop, which was on a USB 2.0 stick.

After installing, everything is just, well, laggy. Firefox takes 30 seconds to open, and can't play higher than 480p videos before becoming a slideshow. Installed Chromium but the same deal there too. I can't help but feel this is some kind of driver situation but the only thing I found when running the driver checking program was the Intel Microcode which didn't make a bit of difference either. Any ideas? Keep in mind I'm a complete Linux noob! Thank you!

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Horrible Performance - Mint 18.3 Xfce

Post by WharfRat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Hello xStealth Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
xStealth wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:05 am
Thing to note: I'm running Mint 18.3 Xfce which is installed on a USB 3.0 flash drive, 32GB.
Second thing to note: I was getting better Mint performance from the "live" installer desktop, which was on a USB 2.0 stick.
If you're running from a flash drive it's going to be agonizing slow - even a USB 3.0.

The performance might have appeared better with the live session because the live session doesn't write to the media.

The performance will be significantly better if you decide to install it.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

xStealth
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Horrible Performance - Mint 18.3 Xfce

Post by xStealth » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:22 pm

Thanks for the response! I went ahead and wiped the MMC since Windows was fubar anyway and after installing + updating, along with the newest kernel, things are going pretty well! Can't manage 720p 60FPS video on YouTube without dropping around 5% of the total frames, but the only way that worked on Windows 10 was with the Edge browser. Hell, even 1080p 60FPS didn't drop any frames with Edge, which blew me away! With Chromium along with the h264ify plugin, I can play up through 1080p 30FPS with no lost frames though (not that it matters since display is 720, but I digress). Maybe I'll find a solution to that elusive 60FPS in the future!

Return to “Hardware Support”