Before you post please read how to get help
linux-krause
Level 1
Level 1

ntfsclone for SSDs? <SOLVED>

Post by linux-krause » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:48 pm

In the past I used ntfsclone to backup my Windows partitions like this:
ntfsclone --save-image -o - /dev/sda1 | gzip -c > backup.img.gz

That works great for any hard disks. But now I have SSDs in my PC and I thought to understand that the SSD controller always move the places of the stored data because of an optimal allocation inside. And, of course, block sektors if they are defect.

Now I am in doubt, wether ntfsclone really works reliable if I have to restore a partition a long time later. May this be right?
Last edited by linux-krause on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: ntfsclone for SSDs?

Post by Mute Ant » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Yes, internally an SSD moves data around, so next week a file might be in a different chip. From outside the SSD, though, that is invisible. You just read and write the /dev/sdX node the same way that you would with a magnetic drive.
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

catweazel
Level 16
Level 16

Post by catweazel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:21 am

linux-krause wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:48 pm
Now I am in doubt, wether ntfsclone really works reliable if I have to restore a partition a long time later. May this be right?
The SSD presents itself to the OS as a standard HDD with a seek time of 0ms, so nothing is any different as far as the OS is concerned. Go ahead and continue.
Caution: Dancing Wu Li Master and Official curmudgeon-in-chief

linux-krause
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linux-krause » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:46 pm

Thank you very much for your answers :D :D :D

Return to “Hardware Support”