ntfsclone for SSDs? <SOLVED>

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux-krause

ntfsclone for SSDs? <SOLVED>

Post by linux-krause »

In the past I used ntfsclone to backup my Windows partitions like this:
ntfsclone --save-image -o - /dev/sda1 | gzip -c > backup.img.gz

That works great for any hard disks. But now I have SSDs in my PC and I thought to understand that the SSD controller always move the places of the stored data because of an optimal allocation inside. And, of course, block sektors if they are defect.

Now I am in doubt, wether ntfsclone really works reliable if I have to restore a partition a long time later. May this be right?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: ntfsclone for SSDs?

Post by Mute Ant »

Yes, internally an SSD moves data around, so next week a file might be in a different chip. From outside the SSD, though, that is invisible. You just read and write the /dev/sdX node the same way that you would with a magnetic drive.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

linux-krause wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:48 pm Now I am in doubt, wether ntfsclone really works reliable if I have to restore a partition a long time later. May this be right?
The SSD presents itself to the OS as a standard HDD with a seek time of 0ms, so nothing is any different as far as the OS is concerned. Go ahead and continue.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
linux-krause

Post by linux-krause »

Thank you very much for your answers :D :D :D

Return to “Hardware Support”