Testing memory

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Testing memory

Post by wpshooter »

A question regarding test memory/RAM.

I have a old Gateway laptop model NE71B series that I am trying to put an OS on.

When I first attempted to test the RAM with Memtest, I was getting all kind of errors.

Subsequently, I used Killdisk to wipe the hard drive. After doing that, I went back to
memtest and lo and behold, NO errors on memtest.

I would not think that wiping the drive with Killdisk would have anything to do with
the RAM subsequently showing NO errors but thought I would ask.

Let me say that this laptop had not been used for a long time and I am wondering if
that and the subsequent use / working of the machine by running Killdisk caused
the RAM to not show errors on the 2nd run. I am thinking about opening the machine
up and reseating the memory, but have not done that yet.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
ClixTrix

Re: Testing memory

Post by ClixTrix »

An overheat condition or maybe a bad battery could cause problems.

Was the battery fully charged and was the system AC connected for the Memtest and Wipe of the drive?

Does the system have a FAN? If yes, you might try cleaning with can of Air-Duster.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

ClixTrix wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:32 am An overheat condition or maybe a bad battery could cause problems.

Was the battery fully charged and was the system AC connected for the Memtest and Wipe of the drive?

Does the system have a FAN? If yes, you might try cleaning with can of Air-Duster.
Yes, battery was fully charged and yes done on AC.

It is a Gateway laptop so I assume it has some internal cooling system (I have not opened it up YET.)

Am sort of wondering if the CMOS battery might need changing but have yet to find any info on exactly
where the battery might be located inside the machine.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

You can find lots of for that model NE71B on the net. I tried Google. Saw links for taking it apart. You can probably find maintenance manual and maybe trouble shooting guides.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-102 Cinn 6.0.4

Return to “Hardware Support”