Hard drive will not complete extended version of self-test

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Hard drive will not complete extended version of self-test

Post by wpshooter »

Have a laptop on which the hard drive self-test will complete and pass the short
version of the self-test BUT when I try to run the extended version it gets to 10%
done and just "seems" to stop (will not progress any further no matter how long
I let it run). What does this mean ?

More details if needed.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
ClixTrix

Re: Hard drive will not complete extended version of self-test

Post by ClixTrix »

Is this the same laptop that failed Memtest and you wiped the drive subsequent to Memtest failures?
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

ClixTrix wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:38 am Is this the same laptop that failed Memtest and you wiped the drive subsequent to Memtest failures?
Yes, one and the same.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Check the log with command dmesg from Terminal, and see if there are any errors at the point where the long test fails at 10%.

Probably not a good idea to have wiped the disk with problem memory, i.e. disk writes happen from memory. :cry:
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

ClixTrix wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:55 am Check the log with command dmesg from Terminal, and see if there are any errors at the point where the long test fails at 10%.

Probably not a good idea to have wiped the disk with problem memory, i.e. disk writes happen from memory. :cry:
How would wiping the hard drive make any difference in the testing of memory modules ?
I can possibly see your point but how does this explain the memory testing OK subsequently ?

Actually, I just tried the self-test again and this time it did go beyond the 10% mark. I am thinking
that this drive is just so old that it is EXTREMELY slow.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

My concern was the possibility of drive corruption from potentially bad memory, not that the drive was the cause of the memory errors.

I would check the dmesg log for errors. That might help nail-down any hardware problems with the system.

Return to “Hardware Support”