Mouse issue [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cgiefer
Level 1
Level 1

Mouse issue [SOLVED]

Post by cgiefer »

Hey guys, I'm using 18.3 'Sylvia' KDE-64 bit on a Dell Inspiron 17 5000 Series laptop. My mouse works fine for single and double-clicking things, but I am unable to highlight anything. If I bring up any kind of text editor and try to select anything by holding the mouse button down and moving it, nothing is highlighted (or maybe just a couple characters). Has anyone else experienced something like this? Holding the mouse button down to try and move a window on my desktop also doesn't work, it's as if I'm not holding it down at all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mouse issue

Post by catweazel »

cgiefer wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:05 am it's as if I'm not holding it down at all.
Have you verified that the mouse is working correctly, by,, say using a different mouse or plugging the errant mouse into a different machine?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
cgiefer
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mouse issue

Post by cgiefer »

Sigh... working with computers you'd think I would have checked that first. Troubleshooting 101, make sure the peripheral you are trying to use is not broken!

I simply assumed since the mouse worked just fine before I got this laptop that it still worked. I went out and got a new mouse and it works just fine. Thanks catweazel!

Return to “Hardware Support”