Install which driver for Areca ARC-1220 & Linux Mint ?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arius
Level 2
Level 2

Install which driver for Areca ARC-1220 & Linux Mint ?

Post by Arius »

I have looked for a RAID solution to mirror two drives in Linux Mint and finally found that it does have a driver for the Areca ARC-1220 RAID controller.
This has been confirmed by building a RAID 1 mirror and installing Linux Mint v18.3 on it.
But I have also seen some references recommending to re-install the Areca driver after the initial Linux Mint install.

#1: When I look at the Areca website list of drivers at http://www.areca.us/support/s_linux/linux.htm for the ARC-1220 I don't see Linux Mint referenced.
There are Ubuntu and Debian kits but I have no idea which to install in Linux Mint v18.3.

#2: I am a beginner with Linux so any guidance on driver kit installation will be appreciated.

#3: I did see a message from Areca support recommending checking the driver in Linux. How can I get info on the driver that Linux Mint is using with the Areca ARC-1220 RAID controller?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Install which driver for Areca ARC-1220 & Linux Mint ?

Post by catweazel »

Arius wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:29 pm #1: When I look at the Areca website list of drivers at http://www.areca.us/support/s_linux/linux.htm for the ARC-1220 I don't see Linux Mint referenced.
There are Ubuntu and Debian kits but I have no idea which to install in Linux Mint v18.3.
ending checking the driver in Linux. How can I get info on the driver that Linux Mint is using with the Areca ARC-1220 RAID controller?
For Mint 18.3 you need the Ubuntu 16.04 version of the driver: 1.40.0X.05

I'd like to ask why you believe you need to reinstall the driver. If the system is working then there's no point.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Arius
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Arius »

I have an email response from Areca support recommending update of the driver to the current version after initial Linux installation.

Also I had a reference (can't find right now) that said that the driver in the Linux kernel was missing all features (maybe just earlier version).

Is there a way to see which Areca driver is running with the Areca controller?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Arius wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:19 pm I have an email response from Areca support recommending update of the driver to the current version after initial Linux installation.
Don't trust Areca support to give the right advice on this. If it isn't broken now, don't try to "fix" it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Hardware Support”