How do I prevent my Microsoft LifeCam webcam from continuously autofocusing?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

How do I prevent my Microsoft LifeCam webcam from continuously autofocusing?

Post by jameskga »

The camera repeatedly, continuously autofocuses. Like it's never good enough! I just need it to autofocus once, and turn the feature off thereafter. I only use the webcam on Skype with my friend, who says the camera's built-in microphone pics up a frog-like sound every time the camera tries to refocus.

So it's annoying for both of us.

Anyone ever run into this problem before? I googled a fix, but could only find someone talking about Java. Basically Skype is the only thing I installed on this PC besides vanilla Linux Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
They say your favorite Mint edition was the one you installed when you still went to school with your friends.
I am out there
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How do I prevent my Microsoft LifeCam webcam from continuously autofocusing?

Post by absque fenestris »

Excuse me!
But if you look like your avatar, Microsoft is trying the best possible :mrgreen:
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How do I prevent my Microsoft LifeCam webcam from continuously autofocusing?

Post by Lucap »

I know it doesn't fix the autofocus issue but have you looked through the sound settings to see if you can change the odd sound it is making?

Just a random idea unless someone has a specific fix.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Try installing guvcview and see if there are any controls for autofocus from that app.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=211413

Return to “Hardware Support”