Any ryzen B350 motherboards recommended for MInt ?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marlenejo

Any ryzen B350 motherboards recommended for MInt ?

Post by marlenejo »

I was planning to get a 2200G Ryzen cpu but there is no support for it at this time so I am going for a regular Ryzen 3 1300x. AM4 Motherboards chipsets seems to have some issues with Linux.
Can you suggest a trouble free MB, B350 chipset, and around $100~150CDN which works fine with MInt (sound, usb etc ...) ?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ClixTrix

Re: Any ryzen 350 motherboards recommended for MInt ?

Post by ClixTrix »

That's a tight price-point to meet. Gigabyte often has rebates on their boards, e.g. the board in my sig was $89 US with $15 Rebate when I purchased it back in August from MicroCenter. With the new 400 Series chipsets coming in the Spring, there might be sales on the older 300 Series boards.

In general, I've seen only minor issues with the B350 boards and they are mostly for minimum Kernel level for support of integrated hardware, e.g. ALC1220 codec requiring Kernel 4.11 minimum.

The broader problem with Ryzens have been with the freeze and spontaneous reboot problems on Linux. Those are still being researched. Cause appears tied to C6 and P-States. There are work-arounds and I've been very stable using simple Kernel parameters passed from Grub.
marlenejo

Post by marlenejo »

There seems to be quite various MB at Newegg Canada in that price range. I notice that you have an NVME, is Mint installed on that ?
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

Yes, I have Mint 18.3 installed on the NVMe drive as well as my VMs for VirtualBox work with Mint 18.3 as the Host.
marlenejo

Re: Any ryzen B350 motherboards recommended for MInt ?

Post by marlenejo »

Hum ok, looks like few people are running MInt on a Rysen platform, so I'll test it out myself.
Thanks
pajew

Post by pajew »

Ryzen 1500x on MSI B350 with no problems. Only temperature and fan sensor not recognized, but there is a solution (search for "ID 0xd352")
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

I'm running on a Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming-3 motherboard with a AMD Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, no problems so far.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
chaser301

Post by chaser301 »

In your budget specifically any asus b350 would do fine, and yes asus boards are always trouble free so dont worry on that. try getting the Asus Prime b350 Plus or if confused the check this article https://appuals.com/best-amd-am4-b350-m ... for-ryzen/ good luck.

Return to “Hardware Support”