Bluetooth poll, do you have bluetooth working Yes/No

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Do you have blue tooth working in linux mint ?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:22 pm

Blue tooth working Yes
65%
Blue tooth working No
4%
Not using blue tooth
30%

Total votes: 23

jwalesch
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bluetooth poll, do you have bluetooth working Yes/No

Post by jwalesch »

NO - and it's really frustrating since LM 17!
I'm running LM 19 Tara now on an otherwise very reliable machine (Lenovo Thinkpad W530, with a BCM20702A1 Broadcom bluetooth device) and I LOVE LM 19!, yet I have been fighting to get it connected to my BOSE SLIII loudspeaker ever since I got that. And I need it for my work as a musician.
I have been searching the forums on end, trying to deinstall blueberry and installing blueman, also the other way round, trying to install a driver (BCM20702A1-0a5c-21e6.hcd) from GitHub, adding ALL bluetooth apps to starting programmes so they could do what they want to do automatically - nothing ever works.
No, what's worse: Sometimes I can connect to my loudspeaker, sometimes nothing works.
All other problems I might have had with LM over the past years I could solve but bluetooth is driving me mad!
I even wrote a comment in LM's blog when LM 19 was announced - no reaction from anyone. I just have the impression that bluetooth is the last dinosaur of problems LM hasn't got round to solving. Sad!
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

jwalesch wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:55 pm NO - and it's really frustrating since LM 17!
I'm running LM 19 Tara now on an otherwise very reliable machine (Lenovo Thinkpad W530, with a BCM20702A1 Broadcom bluetooth device) and I LOVE LM 19!, yet I have been fighting to get it connected to my BOSE SLIII loudspeaker ever since I got that. And I need it for my work as a musician.
I have been searching the forums on end, trying to deinstall blueberry and installing blueman, also the other way round, trying to install a driver (BCM20702A1-0a5c-21e6.hcd) from GitHub, adding ALL bluetooth apps to starting programmes so they could do what they want to do automatically - nothing ever works.
No, what's worse: Sometimes I can connect to my loudspeaker, sometimes nothing works.
All other problems I might have had with LM over the past years I could solve but bluetooth is driving me mad!
I even wrote a comment in LM's blog when LM 19 was announced - no reaction from anyone. I just have the impression that bluetooth is the last dinosaur of problems LM hasn't got round to solving. Sad!
The file likely needs to be named /lib/firmware/brcm/BCM.hcd
With the latest Ubuntu kernel I no longer need by patch to have my Atheros ocf3:3004 bluetooth working
jwalesch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jwalesch »

/lib/firmware/brcm/BCM.hcd

That file exists, the loudspeaker is found alright, LM says "connected" but nothing is happening otherwise - sound coming out of the internal loudspeakers only, in pulse audio settings (my machine is running in German, so I'm not sure what the original English package names are) the BOSE SLIII doesn't show up (anymore, I should say, it did in the past).

Thanks for your quick reply!

Btw:
Kernel running is 4.15.0-30
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

does pactl list short | grep blue show module-bluetooth-discover?
jwalesch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jwalesch »

Yes, it does:

jw@jw-ThinkPad-W530 ~ $ pactl list short | grep blue
8 module-bluetooth-policy
9 module-bluetooth-discover
10 module-bluez5-discover
lyubo

Post by lyubo »

Yes. Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon on a Teclast F7 laptop - the built-in bluetooth is working out of the box.
kaszasp

Post by kaszasp »

NO. (Linux Mint 18.3)

I have very mixed feelings about BT in Linux Mint and this may very well be the thing that will make me change to Windows in the end.
Mouse: working, sometimes lagging, esp. after some idle time.
Headset 1: only working as a headphone. Can be used as a headset when I plug in the BT USB key that came with it. But then it is not Linux BT anymore, really.
Headset 2: does not work at all. Tried all tricks, used help from the forum, nothing at all, ever, nada. Needless to say, the headset works on Windows, Mac and Android perfectly.

BT is a very big letdown for me.
pcklink

Post by pcklink »

Bluetooth works for me but not without side-effects. When connecting my bluetooth headset, it will 50% of the time kill my usb keyboard and mouse. I can still remotely login to the machine so the system itself is not frozen. If I log-out and back in everything tends to work again, although sometimes now the a2dp sink fails. Already tried a newer bluetooth dongle that was explicitly listed as linux-compatible, but to no avail.
gnappi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gnappi »

Nope, I have a USB "dongle" BT adapter (CSR 4.0 printed on it )which works fine with Win7.
kaszasp

Post by kaszasp »

I only have problems with Bluetooth in Linux Mint. This is the reason why I am going to have to switch back to Windows, or worse, Mac.

Practically no Bluetooth asset works flawlessly for me.

I have two headsets and one mouse over Bluetooth.
1. One headset doesn't work at all. It works without any issues on both Windows (same notebook, dual boot! hardware issues ruled out) and Mac and my Android tablet and my Android phone. Bose HP 700.
2. The second headset works in output mode only. Thank God they gave me a USB dongle for it (I thought these have long gone out of fashion), that way it works. Logitech H800.
3. My mouse works, when nothing else is connected via Bluetooth. If there is a second Bluetooth device connected, the mouse starts lagging seriously.

Linux Mint, we need to talk about Bluetooth..... This is embarrassing.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Bluetooth support gets better with every release. It would be funny if the day comes when Bluetooth works perfectly with Linux/Ubuntu/Mint/etc...and Bluetooth then fades away as a dominant technology (i.e. - FireWire)

Yes, I know...people still use FireWire...you don't have to give me your anecdotal position...

:lol:
joez

Post by joez »

After upgrading from 19.2 to 19.3 bluetooth quit working.
Had to rename BCM.hcd to the original name to resolve.
flashfyre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flashfyre »

I bought a cheap bluetooth USB dongle off eBay. It's based on the CSR 4.0 chipset ("Cambridge Silicon Radio" now Qualcomm). It is unreliable under windows and hasn't worked in any of the kernels or linux versions I tried. I read a kernel developer email implying that there exists a few generic variants using this chip, some better than others, and many need special quirks to run.

Then I bought a Plugable Bluetooth USB Adapter Model: USB-BT4LE which uses the BCM20702 chipset. This has worked with everything so far including 19.3 Tricia and the 5.3 kernel. Headphones and game controller work great. The company officially supports linux.

Return to “Hardware Support”