Easy fan control for Thinkpad x230?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tarverator

Easy fan control for Thinkpad x230?

Post by tarverator »

I have a Thinkpad x230 i5-3360M running Linux Mint Mate 18.1 (Serena) 64-bit

For some reason, my fan has gotten noisier recently. I got it physically cleaned, but it still ramps up and whines in a very distracting way under even moderate loads, and even with the CPU governor set to powersave. So I started messing around with thinkfan and all the configuration files, but none of the tutorials I found were for the x230 specifically, and I don't want to spend hours on this.

Is there a simple, user-friendly (perhaps GUI) little utility, or something that I can set in very few steps, that can get the fan to JUST BE QUIET? I don't care - within reason - how much I have to throttle back the CPU, or if some background task takes 0.3 seconds longer. How do I tell my machine that it is not allowed to work so hard that it starts to break a sweat and need the fan?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tarverator

Re: Easy fan control for Thinkpad x230?

Post by tarverator »

Hearing crickets for an easy fix, I rolled up my sleeves and got thinkfan working. Didn't take as long as I had feared... I'm just rusty on tinkering under the hood here.

Here's the relevant part of /etc/thinkfan.conf for anyone else looking to tweak this:

Code: Select all

# values from http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com/ubuntu/
tp_fan /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
hwmon /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
(0, 0,  60) 
(1, 53, 65) 
(2, 55, 66) 
(3, 57, 68) 
(4, 61, 70) 
(5, 64, 71) 
(7, 68, 32767)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Easy fan control for Thinkpad x230?

Post by Moem »

Thinkfan would be really great if it had a GUI. I seem to recall it did have one at an earlier time but that part was discontinued.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Hardware Support”