MSI Z370M compatibility

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tmg

MSI Z370M compatibility

Post by tmg »

I've never used Mint before. I've only got some limited experience with Ubuntu and Lubuntu and have never used Linux as a home machine.

I am building my own PC with plan to install Linux Mint after a friend recommended it as I want to learn Linux and also for networking virtualisation (GNS3 etc).

I have decided to go with Intel 8th Gen Coffee Lane. The motherboard I have got is the MSI - Z370M GAMING PRO AC mATX. The MSI website only has links for Windows support so it made wonder whether there will be any problems. I didn't check whether Linux will work at all, I just assumed it would be okay. I don't really understand how the hardware / software compatibility works with Linux (as everything is geared towards PC gamers it seems) or where to find that information.

Is anyone else using this or any similar platform?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: MSI Z370M compatibility

Post by catweazel »

tmg wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:21 pm I have decided to go with Intel 8th Gen Coffee Lane.
The only thing thast should need changing is the kernel, it needs to be the newest to take full advantage of that CPU. You can run Mint in a live session and see how it goes, but I wouldn't expect trouble.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
tmg

Post by tmg »

How do I make sure I am using the latest Kernel?

I was going to make a boot USB using the latest download available (18.3) is that all I need to do?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

tmg wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:42 am How do I make sure I am using the latest Kernel?

I was going to make a boot USB using the latest download available (18.3) is that all I need to do?
You can install Mint then update the kernel to the 4.13 series in the update manager.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

In general, it should be compatible, as per ... https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... -itx&num=1 (12 Oct 2017 - ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac: Mini-ITX Motherboard With Dual NICs, WiFi, Triple Display For ~$130 USD)
tmg

Post by tmg »

michael louwe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:18 am In general, it should be compatible, as per ... https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... -itx&num=1 (12 Oct 2017 - ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac: Mini-ITX Motherboard With Dual NICs, WiFi, Triple Display For ~$130 USD)
Thanks, I saw this website. But they hadn't tested any MSI Motherboards. I guess once I use mine I can respond back with any issues. I'm hoping that as long as other Z370 boards are okay mine will be too.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ tmg

AFAIK, there are mainly 2 kinds of motherboards, ie customized either for Intel or AMD processors. The Z370M motherboard is customized for Intel processors and is common for the OEMs, ie the Z370M motherboard can be used by Asus or MSI or Dell or HP or Acer or etc. ...
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z3 ... -rev-10#kf (Z370M D3H (rev. 1.0) - Intel Z370 Ultra Durable motherboard with CrossFire support, Intel USB 3.1 Gen1 with USB Type-C™, Intel GbE LAN with 25KV protection, M.2, RGB Fusion, Smart Fan 5, Anti-Sulfur Resistors )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte_Technology

Return to “Hardware Support”