Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Rear USB ports quit working

Post by Pat D » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:24 pm

I have an old HP Compaq 6200 / i7 etc. The issue is I can't get anything to work consistently in the rear ports except an HP printer. I've tried multiple keyboards and mice, but they all stop working after a few minutes. Only the front USBs work properly.

So I replaced the motherboard with the identical one and, lo-and-behold! It's exactly the same. No working rear USB ports.

The box originally came with Win 10 on it, but I didn't notice anything till after I dumped Windows. I don't want to put Windows back on to test my
silly question, so does anybody have any ideas on this?
Last edited by Pat D on Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Hardware issue with USB ports - don't know if it's because Linux somehow?

Post by JoeFootball » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:43 pm

Pat D wrote:I have an old HP Compaq 6200 ... so does anybody have any ideas on this?
Is it the original power supply? I had an aging PC with similar USB issues (among other things). Tried all sorts of troubleshooting, all in frustration. Via a suggestion from someone else, I tried another power supply, and all was resolved.

Joe

Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:47 pm

I think so.
But this is one of those "proprietary" cases and the power supply maybe is, too. I'll have to look into that.
Thanks.

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JoeFootball » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:59 pm

Yep, I just looked into that a little. It does look like a non-standard "mini" power supply, with just a 240 watt output. Hmm.

Maybe other test could be to (if feasible) physically disconnect the front (4) USB ports from the motherboard, as well as the DVD drive, and see if that breathes any life into the rear (6) USB ports.

Joe

Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:24 pm

This is a big box, it's labelled a "Tower" even though everything I've found calls it a mini or micro tower.
And the power supply is larger than normal and won't fit in a generic mini-tower.
The specs for the box say the power supply is 320 w, and it's out of stock at HP.
It also has unusual connectors, ie. no 2 x 12 pin connector, several smaller ones.

This'll teach me to buy brand-name.
At a loss.

OK, just put it back together after trying your suggestion and disconnecting other power usage. Still no go. :(

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JoeFootball » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Pat D wrote:This is a big box, it's labelled a "Tower" even though everything I've found calls it a mini or micro tower.
Ah ha, it seems the HP Compaq 6200 came in more than one form factor. How convenient. Here's one that may be yours which has a 320 watt power supply, and here's another that I found which has a 240 watt power supply. There may be more.

Regardless, you can still try testing removing some of the USB ports and DVD drive from the equation for testing. Another idea is to see if this behavior presents itself running from a live session of Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Manjaro, Fedora, etc.

But it is interesting that the front USB ports are consistent, but the rear USB ports are intermittent. :?

EDIT:
Pat D wrote:OK, just put it back together after trying your suggestion and disconnecting other power usage. Still no go. :(
For clarity, you don't know if this current behavior existed with Windows, correct?

Joe

bobinmurphy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobinmurphy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:05 pm

I'm seeing USB problems on two different systems running Mint 18.3. Corrupted data, infinite data loop reading the same data byte, hung system, slow and unresponsive mouse. The problems occur randomly.

One of the systems ran NetBSD for years communicating with one of the USB devices without ever have a problem. So I suspect USB handling in the Linux Kernel is the root cause.

Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:17 pm

OK, this is insane.
I've been looking for this solution for close to 6 months, and I finally replaced the MB, and it has the same issue. What the heck?
So more searching and I actually ended up finding something in the bottom of a thread on an Ubuntu forum. A 1-line command, instead of major scripting solutions.

I used it on this new MB, and it worked. Going to pull this board and put the original one back in tomorrow and check it out.
Will post results.

Here is the command:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
(Thanks to "Dinesh" from May 2015)

Can you believe it? 6 months!! But there was an answer! Man, I love Linux!!!

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JoeFootball » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:24 am

Pat D wrote:Can you believe it? 6 months!! But there was an answer! Man, I love Linux!!!
:D Glad you got it figured out! Saving this one for my bag of tricks.

Joe

Return to “Hardware Support”