Touchpad configuration issue

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Level 1
Level 1

Touchpad configuration issue

Post by Neutrino » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:38 pm

I've just installed Mint 18.3 on a Dell XPS15. The touchpad configuration is not useful. The touchpad is currently very slow with masses of acceleration. If I move the my finger slowly on the touchpad it takes half a dozen swipes to get the pointer from one side of the screen to the other. If I swipe fast the pointer moves 10 times as fast.

This is not what I want at all. I want the mouse to move quickly across the screen, from one side to the other in a single swipe, at a constant speed without any acceleration.

I've found the Touchpad settings dialog, but the available settings are useless. There isn't even a setting for speed. I've enabled 'Custom acceleration' and set it to the minimum value possible, but the acceleration is still massive.

I used Mint on a MacBook before and used 'synclient' to configure the trackpad which gave a lot of customization options. Running 'synclient' on this machine though it tells me that no synaptics driver is installed. I don't know whether I can just install the synaptics driver and somehow get it to work with the touchpad, or whether that driver isn't installed because it won't work.

What can I do to fix this please?

Return to “Hardware Support”