Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bask185
Level 1
Level 1

TV stays black when turned on.

Post by bask185 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:37 am

I am having a minor problem with my TV and my HTPC. If I turn on the TV and then the HTPC everything is fine. But when I turn on the HTPC first and the TV later. The TV doesn't get a signal and stays black. What I can do, is opening a virtual terminal (Ctrl + Alt + F1). When I do this the screen no longer is black and I get to use the terminal (which I use to reboot the PC in 100% of the time :roll: ).

But I have to reboot the computer to get my desktop displayed. This is annoying because the computer will be the one which will turn the TV on/off via an IR led and an automated script.

How can I get my desktop without rebooting the HTPC??

Neil Edmond
Level 5
Level 5

Re: TV stays black when turned on.

Post by Neil Edmond » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:03 am

My solution is to leave the HTPC powered up all the time. That way it's ready whenever I am.

bask185
Level 1
Level 1

Re: TV stays black when turned on.

Post by bask185 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:16 am

yeah I forgot to mention the most important part. It also happens with waking up from sleepmode IIRC. I have changed the sleep settings lately I believe. I will verify tonight if the PC was actually in sleepmode instead of shutdown.

I made a shutdown desktop on my desktop. Currently I am using it to actually shutdown the PC but ofcourse I want it to force the PC to sleep instead and use a script to let the IR led turn off the TV and when I wake the computer with my remote keyboard, I want the IR led to turn on the TV again.

Return to “Hardware Support”